Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord trying to claim deposit for damage he did

We had no heating all winter and numerous attempts to fix it leading to marks on carpet, and other damage. 
The landlord is now saying he’ll be claiming from our deposit for al the ‘tenant damages’ listed on the inventory. 
I have emails mentioning work, and time stamped photos - surely the dispute service will find in our favour?
We’ve explained to the agent why we dispute the inventory items listed as tenant damages. 
It has been a long stressful year and I just want to draw the whole experience to a close, but letting agent and landlord seem keen to string it out. Any advice gratefully recieved!


  • penners324
    penners324 Forumite Posts: 2,237
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    You go to the deposit protector dispute service (not the agent) with your evidence. They will decide 
  • RAS
    RAS Forumite Posts: 31,934
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Did you reclaim your whole deposit from the Scheme when you moved out? It is for the LL to provide evidence of damage, and you to counter with your evidence of their activity.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Forumite Posts: 1,663
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ideally you will have written to the LL back when the damage occurred, thus putting on record that he (or his contractors) caused the damage, not you.

    But either way, this is one for the arbitration scheme. Clearly you've failed to reach agreement with the LL (or his agent) for the deposit deductions, so raise a dispute. Read up on the dispute process for your deposit scheme. Details will have been sent to you by the LL within 30 days of your paying the deposit, via the 'Prescribed Information'.

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards