Enterprise Spare Wheel Charge

StevenB12
StevenB12 Forumite Posts: 254
Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hey everyone, 

Hope you're all good. 

Long story short we have had a nightmare with Enterprise with one of their vans losing several days with mechnical issues on a brand new van. It ended up getting some tyre damage, phoned Enterprise who went through ATS, no email confirmation of this was sent, ATS changed the tyre off site so nobody was with the vehicle at the time (ATS also did not require paperwork to be signed which they have confirmed they usually don't get signatures through Enterprise)

Van was offhired today and they are trying to claim back for a full spare wheel/tyre, rim included, as ATS removed the full damaged wheel, replaced with the spare, but didn't then supply another spare. 

Now there's no issue with us paying for the replacement tyre, but should we be paying for the rim as well when ATS should have just replaced the tyre? 

Thank you! 

Comments

• Ditzy_Mitzy
    Ditzy_Mitzy Forumite Posts: 1,786
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You've missed some important information.  

Was the damage to the tyre only, or was there an issue with the wheel itself such as a bent rim?  If so, the agreement could have been for ATS to swap the spare for the damaged one and junk the old wheel.  Otherwise, what has happened to the other wheel?  It seems to have gone AWOL whilst in the custody of ATS.  
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Forumite Posts: 7,521
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Who was in charge of engaging ATS to repace the damaged tyre? If it was Enterprise, then ATS should have confirmed to them what they did and didn't do, and you had no responsibility to check ATS's work. 

It doesn't sound like you should be liable. Are you a business?
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • StevenB12
    Forumite
    You've missed some important information.  

Was the damage to the tyre only, or was there an issue with the wheel itself such as a bent rim?  If so, the agreement could have been for ATS to swap the spare for the damaged one and junk the old wheel.  Otherwise, what has happened to the other wheel?  It seems to have gone AWOL whilst in the custody of ATS.  
    Communication is poor between both of them sadly. Only damage was to the tyre its self, was a large chunk missing from  the outer wall of the tyre with no damage to the rim and nothing from ATS or enterprise to say otherwise. ATS also haven't relayed this to enterprise or enterprise are trying to recoup a wheel.
  • StevenB12
    Forumite
    tacpot12 said:
    Who was in charge of engaging ATS to repace the damaged tyre? If it was Enterprise, then ATS should have confirmed to them what they did and didn't do, and you had no responsibility to check ATS's work. 

I'm a supervisor for the company. 

We called Enterprise roadside assistance who put us through to ATS, gave them the details etc of the tyre size and so on. ATS came two days later and that's as much as I know, van was back on the road there after, but as I said, no email confirmation or paperwork from either side 
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Forumite Posts: 1,321
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tacpot12 said:

It is standard for hire companies to have contracts with tyre companies for repair/replacement -

• StevenB12
    Forumite
    Sadly I should add that unfortunately I have zero proof that ATS even came out to do the repair in this instance, Enterprise haven't yet searched their records but unfortunately I can imagine what they will attempt. 

We asked for the van to be swapped over twice which came with no replies so we lost a few days work out of it due to the mechanical issues until AA resolved them.
  • tifo
    tifo Forumite Posts: 1,810
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ATS should have replaced the damaged tyre on "no damage to the rim". Or you could ask ATS for the undamaged rim and replace the tyre to give it to Enterprise.
  • StevenB12
    Forumite
    tifo said:
    ATS should have replaced the damaged tyre on "no damage to the rim". Or you could ask ATS for the undamaged rim and replace the tyre to give it to Enterprise.
    Yeah I'm going to have to call ATS tomorrow to see what's happened, again sawfly though we have had issues in the past with both companies so I'm not expecting much help. 
  • Ditzy_Mitzy
    Ditzy_Mitzy Forumite Posts: 1,786
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    StevenB12 said:
    tifo said:
    Yeah I'm going to have to call ATS tomorrow to see what's happened, again sawfly though we have had issues in the past with both companies so I'm not expecting much help. 
    Thank you for the additional information.  Seems as if ATS are the last known custodians of the wheel and will need to be pursued.  
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Forumite Posts: 7,521
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Enterprise seem to have left you in charge of the practical arrangements with ATS, but didn't communicate what they asked ATS to do. It seems difficult for them to make your liable for ATS not having returned a rim + spare tyre. (How were you supposed to know what to expect would be returned and when?)

I think you need to ask ATS to confirm/document what they did via email, and pass this to ATS (who should have it or could get it), and then refuse to pay. Before confirming to Enterprise that you are refusing to pay, you should escalate this through your management line. It sounds like there is a risk that Enterprise will refuse to hire to your firm until they are happy, and they may never take you off their black-list if you dispute the charge, which is why this needs to go to management. 

Another solution would be to source a rim from a scrap yard and pay for a new tyre yourselves (i.e. your employer pays). Obviously this would also need to be sanctioned by management, and the tyre would need to be identical to the ones on the van. (The ATS Invoice might have enough detail or ATS can confirm the details to allow you to purchase it.)   
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 339K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback