Dont even qualify for a mobile phone contract now!

ferry
ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
 Not really sure where this belongs. Seems my credit worthiness has hit new depths where I have now been rejected for a mobile phone contract for the first time ever despite being with Vodafone for around 20 years. 
Ok, I agree I had fallen behind on finances through no fault if my own but bever missed a payment with them

Getting back on my feet now but the residual history is still there.
 I guess theres no point in looking at other suppliers all do same checks in the end. 
Never in a million years did I think that I would not even qualify just for a new phone..even my mortgage provider has been more understanding and more loyal!
Apologies, rant over ,just wanted to put my thoughts on paper so to speak!

Now, where's that Sim Only Deals forum..?

Regards

:j

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Have a look at your credit files to at least check that the data is accurate. You don't need to pay for this

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report/

Then use this guide to improve things

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score/
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you like Vodafone generally (they're the only one we get signal with at home), try Voxi.  Same company but no contract and really good deals usually.  I use them for myself and my daughters because it's the best value I could find.  
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sim-only is the way forwards really - contracts including handsets are generally not the best value.

Better off paying the lowest monthly cost, and picking up (depending on your brand loyalty) a refurb phone from one of the big names which doesn't need to be the latest all-singing, all-dancing model. (Of course there's the outlay to buy the phone if you don't have one, which can be tough on a tight budget - but over the period of a year or more, you'd save a pocketful of money)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Andyjflet
    Andyjflet Posts: 551 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I'm debt free now and always have SIM only contract, I usually save up and buy a new phone every 4/5 years. 
    Baby Step 6/7 - £63000 saved for emergency fund DEBT FREE !!!
  • cymruchris
    Andyjflet said:
    I'm debt free now and always have SIM only contract, I usually save up and buy a new phone every 4/5 years. 

Yes - I'm the same - you have to reverse the psychology as it were - instead of buying 'on credit' and paying for it through the higher monthly payments, save a little in a 'phone fund' so that you've got funds ready to buy a new unit when yours has had enough, and month by month only pay sub £20 for a sim-only contract depending on your useage.

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • ferry
    Hi guys. Thanks as always for the excellent advice as always

Any more advice on best places to look for refurb phones? 
    Thanks 
  • cymruchris
    ferry said:
    Hi guys. Thanks as always for the excellent advice as always

Any more advice on best places to look for refurb phones? 
    Thanks 

It depends on whether you are apple or android orientated :)
  • ferry
    Android man myself 
  • cymruchris
    I'm not an expert on Android - but places like Musicmagpie seem to have a good reputation, even Argos are selling refurb phones. There's lots on Amazon if you use the search term 'Android phone renewed' or 'Android phone refurb'. Just try to stick to reputable suppliers so you've got some leaway if anything goes wrong. (And make sure that it's a 64 bit phone so it runs the latest apps - from my limited knowledge some of the more basic Androids won't open certain banking apps - you might already know that)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback