mortgage application turned up "phantom" unsecured loan

Hi. Advice needed please.
I just applied for a mortgage and the application was sent back to the broker because of an undisclosed unsecure loan. But I don't have one. It could have something to do with my having been introduced by the AA to Prime Credit last year. I paid my motorbike insurance through them, just under £20 pcm and that ended in March 23, this year. I've now gotten the full Experian Credit Report and there's nothing on it at all. I'm now trying to get paper/email confirmation from Prime Credit that I don't have anything outstanding with them - difficult as their operators are not well-versed in their operations, but I hope to get through to a supervisor on Monday.

Is this likely the problem? That I had an "unsecured" loan with Prime Credit last year? I never thought of it as a loan, and as the AA introduced us I thought of them as a reputable company. (Prime Credit is not Amazon Prime Credit Card, different companies despite similar names).
thanks.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Insurance is generally a yearly contract, due up front. So if you opt to pay by month instalments it usually results in a loan for the future payments. Whether the lender reports to one or more of the CRAs is optional.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've now gotten the full Experian Credit Report and there's nothing on it at all.
    Was there any indication that it was specifically your Experian credit file that was the issue?  There are several credit ratings agencies and they don't all cover exactly the same ground, so for completeness you'd need to check them all, unless you've been advised that it was definitely data held at Experian that was the culprit....
  • Thanks for the comments.
    Its all weird.
    Now had an offer in principle, despite the "problems". I suspect we'll never get to the bottom of it. It was only Experian. And I thought for a bit the problem might have been the student loan, which is unsecured, but since then, out of the blue, the offer in principle came through.
    But you'll like this - I was born in Paris (1992) when mommy dearest was on crown service there. Form now wants me to provide a letter from the Border Force saying I have the right to live and work in the UK! My passport ID page actually says "British Citizen". Bots at work here??
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 June 2023 at 10:38PM
    Thanks for the comments.
    Its all weird.
    Now had an offer in principle, despite the "problems". I suspect we'll never get to the bottom of it. It was only Experian. And I thought for a bit the problem might have been the student loan, which is unsecured, but since then, out of the blue, the offer in principle came through.
    But you'll like this - I was born in Paris (1992) when mommy dearest was on crown service there. Form now wants me to provide a letter from the Border Force saying I have the right to live and work in the UK! My passport ID page actually says "British Citizen". Bots at work here??
    Aside from the fact that you are a British Citizen, you cannot get that confirmation from Border Force in any event. That is an Immigration matter which is NOT Border Force. They only perform the function at the frontier for the Immigration service (along with customs checks for HMRC). I think someone in the bank does not know what they are talking about.

A legal resident in the UK (such as a French citizen) can generate a code form the gov.uk website to provide their status (a bit like the code you obtain to share driving licence details) but that is not something available to British Citizens. 
  • Thanks everyone - clearly the first person didn't really know what they were doing. I didn't, and don't, have any unsecured loan/s and I am, as is stated clearly on the details of my passport a "British Citizen".  I appreciate all the input. Its all going/gone through now, and mortgage about to be exchanged/completed (same day) either this Wed or next;
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback