Employment Status

I am trying to apply for a credit card from a well known high street retailer, but when I complete the eligibility checker questions it's says I am not eligible for one.

In my opinion the employment status categories are not upto date because of the following reason,

I am not seeking work due to DISABILITY, this says to me I'm not UNEMPLOYED for the sake of it, so why not include that in the categories lnstead of just UNEMPLOYED which I am not!!

I am in receipt of means tested and non means tested benefits, surely that is guaranteed income?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

This says to me discrimination big time!

Sorry about the rant!

Thanks

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I am trying to apply for a credit card from a well known high street retailer, but when I complete the eligibility checker questions it's says I am not eligible for one.

In my opinion the employment status categories are not upto date because of the following reason,

I am not seeking work due to DISABILITY, this says to me I'm not UNEMPLOYED for the sake of it, so why not include that in the categories lnstead of just UNEMPLOYED which I am not!!

I am in receipt of means tested and non means tested benefits, surely that is guaranteed income?

Sorry about the rant!

Thanks
    From a legal standpoint you are unemployed, unemployment means lack of employment.

Others have had the same issue, it does not meet the threshold for discrimination because it is a factual question/answer. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,313 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

Sorry about the rant!

Thanks
    From a legal standpoint you are unemployed, unemployment means lack of employment.

Others have had the same issue, it does not meet the threshold for discrimination because it is a factual question/answer. 
    It all depends on where you look... 

Organisations like the OECD define it as someone over 15 who is not in paid employment or self employment and is available for work.  Most places inc available to work else everyone thats retired or independently wealthy gets lumped into unemployment stats. Many will also, or should, inc a minimum age else you get all those unemployed school kids in there too.

As to the OP, they dont say which back it is or what other options there are. They also dont say their home arrangements.  Looking at Natwest as a random provider they include "retired" and "homemaker" which may be relevant to the OP depending on if they ever intend to return to work or not etc.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper

Sorry about the rant!

Thanks
    If you have stopped working due to a disability and will not be working again then you are retired due to ill health or disability, and so you should tick the "retired" box and move onto the next question. If you are unable to work due to a temporary disability then pick the best fit - and seeing you are not employed that may well be "unemployed" and move on to the next question.

And the checker may well be rejecting you for a reason other than your employment status anyway.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think if you state you are retired then you have even less chance of getting a credit card.
  • DullGreyGuy
    comeandgo said:
    I think if you state you are retired then you have even less chance of getting a credit card.
    But probably more than if you say unemployed
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    comeandgo said:
    You're wrong. I've obtained all three of my current credit cards in the last three years, and I've put "retired" on every application. I'm not even in receipt of any sort of pension yet.

I did have one rejection though. I have Barclays Premier and have banked with Barclays for nearly 40 years. When Barclaycard brought out the Rewards card I got a letter through the post from them inviting me to apply for it. I used the eligiblility checker and was "provisionally approved", so I applied and was promptly rejected. But that's Barclaycard for you.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

Sorry about the rant!

Thanks
    Sadly benefits are not guaranteed income. In effect any government could reduce or axe them if they felt fit. In reality just the same as anyone employed.

Are you sure it is a CC & not a store card?
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    IanManc said:
    comeandgo said:
    You're wrong. I've obtained all three of my current credit cards in the last three years, and I've put "retired" on every application. I'm not even in receipt of any sort of pension yet.
    How is that proof they are wrong? Less chance doesnt mean you wont get it... 98.9% chance of success is lower than 99%.

A retired person income generally at best is indexed to stay static, a working person has the prospects of promotions or switching jobs and above inflation increases. There is therefore a logic why an employee may be more favourably seen on a long term credit product than a retiree. 
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,451 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    IanManc said:
    comeandgo said:
    How is that proof they are wrong? Less chance doesnt mean you wont get it... 98.9% chance of success is lower than 99%.

A retired person income generally at best is indexed to stay static, a working person has the prospects of promotions or switching jobs and above inflation increases. There is therefore a logic why an employee may be more favourably seen on a long term credit product than a retiree. 

There is no conclusive proof either way. Different lenders will take differing views on whether or not retired applicants are more or less desirable than any other clients.
  • DullGreyGuy
    WillPS said:
    IanManc said:
    comeandgo said:

There is no conclusive proof either way. Different lenders will take differing views on whether or not retired applicants are more or less desirable than any other clients.
    Inevitably each company will come to its own decision... not my area of expertise but were I a gambling person I would put my money on that the average company would prefer the employee on £50k than the retiree on the same money. That's not to say retirees cannot get credit cards just the probability is slightly lower.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback