Wet Room, Home Insurance, Excess, Claims

I’m probably showing my ignorance here, but…

My dad has just had a wet room fitted in what used to be his upstairs bathroom

That is a shower running directly into a sealed / waterproof floor, with the drain sunk into the sealed floor.

I am well aware that if he has problems with the leakage of water from the drain unit and connected pipes, or a leakage caused by a fault in the sealing of the wet room floor, that this will mean:

 Not only the normal leaking through the ceiling to the floor below, but the need to rip up the wet room floor and fix the damage to pipes and drainage unit, then refitting the wet room floor; or refiting the wet room floor if that is the sole cause of the water leaking through.


1) Would such work be covered by ‘home emergency cover’, or just classified as an ‘escaped water’ claim: meaning a heavy ‘excess cost’ when he makes a claim?

2) Can anyone think of a way of covering this possible problem by another method of insurance/ coverer that could be cheaper????


  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Forumite Posts: 6,299
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If he just had it fitted why are you even considering insurance rather than dealing with the company that fitted it? 

    Insurance doesn't cover defective workmanship which appears to be what you are saying it is. Home emergency may respond but it deals with emergencies and if the issue is a leaking shower the answer is not to use the shower. This cover doesn't propose a permanent fix though depending on the nature (eg blocked/overflowing drain) it may well end up being one.

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards