🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Octopus Agile / Tracker Electricity Future Pricing - When to Switch Stuff on ?

Options
JohnPo
JohnPo Posts: 141 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Decided to start a new thread to talk about how to 'best guess' when to schedule future load such as EV charging, doing the washing / drying etc.

I am now on Agile for electric, just dropped off an Octopus GO tariff a couple of 2 weeks ago as the renewal prices were not that great, when looking at my overall usage.

Bit of context, I am now looking at my Octopus app. several times today working out when to put stuff on or not. The Octopus app/website updates about 4pm for Agile, Tracker I believe doesn't update till after midnight on the day concerned.

I have found following links helpful - some have been posted here before so - apologies

Nordpool - there is update around 10am and gives good idea as to the Agile pricing likely to be released at 4pm

For tracker the daily same update

Whilst Octopus give a detailed equation a quick 'ready reckoner' I use is to multiply by 2, although for Agile for 4pm to 8pm window is higher.

Further out I am struggling for - to date I have found:

National Grid ESO - Carbon Intensity forecast (about 48 hour forecast) - proxy for renewable content = lower prices when intensity is lower https://www.carbonintensity.org.uk/ 

Also a long time Octopus / Agile enthusiast has forecast tool which sort of tracks the general trend but I cant see is that accurate https://energy.guylipman.com/forecasts?region=C

Anybody else got any useful ideas / website to look at ?

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The trend is similar every day on when its cheapest and costs the most, the variable is more the average cost.

If you trying to be absolutely optimal then look at the day ahead graph that Octopus provides late in the day.
  • JohnPo
    JohnPo Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    I should have added for clarity that I was looking for information to help 'best guess' when to load shift over a few days - i.e. car does not have to be charged each day - same with when washing etc. needs to be done.

So by way of example from the carbon intensity forecast (link above) for this week 17/04/23 Tuesday night and the start of Wednesday are almost going to be lower Agile prices than today Monday - Tracker looks likely to be lower tomorrow Tuesday and probably even better on Wednesday.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,338 Forumite
    Options
    I found it's usually cheaper when it's windy, so check the weather forecast for wind speeds.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport