Warm homes discount

Options
weety
weety Posts: 11 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi can someone help me please I'm disabled and on universal credit for the last couple of years I've had the warm homes discount but this year its been done differently. I'm with British gas I've been contacting and checking website re WHD but says Government dealing if eligible will be added automatically we have not heard anything didn't know about deadlines etc DWP say as we on Universal credit yes we are eligible but down to Energy supplier but then British gas saying down to DWP each blaming each other but at same time both saying I m eligible but I've not yet received it British gas say there's a delay due to gov. Co not letting them know who's to get it I'm getting stressed as suffer from anxiety and depression I don't know what to do or who to contact if rand DWP and British gas priority service and have transcripts from chatting online to them saying yes your entitled will be on account 3-5 days then told on account in 24 hours but nothing I'm at my wits end what to do next any advice please. P. S I didn't receive letter but as stated been told by both ends I'm entitled to it 

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    This year the qualifying criteria have changed, being on UC alone is no longer enough in England and Wales. 

What does this website say about your eligibility:

https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discount
  • weety
    weety Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It says not eligible but the DWP and british gas say I am I am also getting housing benefit and on pip
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This years WHD for core group 2 has a new criteria, the size, type and age od your property.

If you live in England and Wales

You may be eligible if on 21 August 2022 all of the following apply:

• your energy supplier is part of the scheme
    • you (or your partner) get certain means-tested benefits or tax credits
    • your property has a high energy cost score based on its characteristics
    • your name (or your partner’s) is on the bill

This is known as being in the ‘core group 2’.

If the form you completed says you are not elegible, this is because of your property, you are deemed not to be in need of the WHD because your property is to new or to small.

In addition you have now also missed the deadline of 28th of February to raise a complaint, whereby I have seen many people here asking because they no longer qualified, but not a single one reporting back that they successfully complained.

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you in Scotland?  Otherwise if the eligibility checker says you're not eligible, then you're probably not.

For England and Wales you have to be living in a property that qualifies, as well as claiming a low-income benefit.

One other potential complication is if you're in sheltered housing - you say you claim UC but also Housing Benefit?  That's only possible for certain types of accommodation.

I don't know why they told you you were eligible if the checker said you weren't, it's not infallible but doesn't seem to get it wrong for people claiming UC unless the information they hold is different from what you put into the checker.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback