Government support for holiday home?

Options
New forum member looking for help/advice on government energy support available for a static caravan we use as a holiday home.
We have the caravan on a managed site and electricity is provided by the site owner/management. We are charged on an annual basis based on the electricity measured by a manual reading from an electricity meter. Gas is provided from gas cylinders we have to buy from the site management.
I know that the government has recently announced support for people who live in caravans all year round, but can’t find any reference to holiday caravans installed on permanent sites. 
I’d appreciate any advice/clarification anyone can provide on this for the many people who are in the same position as we’re in

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    New forum member looking for help/advice on government energy support available for a static caravan we use as a holiday home.
    We have the caravan on a managed site and electricity is provided by the site owner/management. We are charged on an annual basis based on the electricity measured by a manual reading from an electricity meter. Gas is provided from gas cylinders we have to buy from the site management.
    I know that the government has recently announced support for people who live in caravans all year round, but can’t find any reference to holiday caravans installed on permanent sites. 
    I’d appreciate any advice/clarification anyone can provide on this for the many people who are in the same position as we’re in
    There is no direct support for holiday homes, only residential sites.
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2023 at 8:09PM
    Options
    Currently you won't be able to claim

You also cannot apply for a discount if you live:

• in purpose-built student accommodation
    • in a care home where all your fees are paid by the local council or NHS
    • on a boat as a continuous cruiser (currently under review)
    • on a non-permanent caravan or mobile home site (currently under review)
    • in accommodation provided by your employer (such as seasonal workers, ‘service occupiers’, security guards, building caretakers)
    • in a building where you are acting as a property guardian
    • in business premises, such as a pub or hotel, where your address is the same as the business address

I am writing currently because the "currently under review" maus tbe new, I have not seen it before.

Whereby I would assume that the review part refers to people living in a holiday park all year around, an dnot those who have a holiday home there.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    Options
    Hi OP

Do you have a link to the govs statement, please?

Thnaks
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,525 Forumite
    Options
    pochase said:
    Currently you won't be able to claim

You also cannot apply for a discount if you live:

• in purpose-built student accommodation
    • in a care home where all your fees are paid by the local council or NHS
    • on a boat as a continuous cruiser (currently under review)
    • on a non-permanent caravan or mobile home site (currently under review)
    • in accommodation provided by your employer (such as seasonal workers, ‘service occupiers’, security guards, building caretakers)
    • in a building where you are acting as a property guardian
    • in business premises, such as a pub or hotel, where your address is the same as the business address

I am writing currently because the "currently under review" maus tbe new, I have not seen it before.

Whereby I would assume that the review part refers to people living in a holiday park all year around, an dnot those who have a holiday home there.
    The bit you copied and pasted specifies "if you live in … " which OP does not anyway.

It also says before that "You cannot apply if you’ve already had Energy Bills Support Scheme payments. This is 6 automatic monthly payments or prepayment meter vouchers of £66 or £67 from your energy supplier, from October 2022." - while OP's holiday home meter won't have got the payments, surely they would need to provide name and registered address, which is their usual home which has already had the payments.

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 March 2023 at 9:31PM
    Options
    Presumably during the time spent in the caravan you’re using less energy at home, and when you’re at home you’re using next to nothing at the caravan, so I can’t really see anything being introduced for your situation to be honest - you’ve already had the support that others households have where there is a domestic energy account set up I assume?  
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • mirfieldsmith
    Options
    Thanks for comments so far.
    slightly frustrating that if you have a bricks and mortar holiday home where you buy energy direct from an energy supplier, you will get double bubble and support in both home and holiday home locations.
    Government latest regulations for permanent dwellers in caravans shown on HM Government website, Google HM Government + Energy Support + caravans/off grid

As a new user, site won’t let me post the link

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,525 Forumite
    Options
    slightly frustrating that if you have a bricks and mortar holiday home where you buy energy direct from an energy supplier, you will get double bubble and support in both home and holiday home locations.
    Government latest regulations for permanent dwellers in caravans shown on HM Government website, Google HM Government + Energy Support + caravans/off grid

Those were unintended beneficiaries, anomalies due to the way it was administered.  So while you could argue it's unfair, it's not an argument that would get you anywhere as the second/holiday homes weren't actually *supposed* to get it.
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

Of course if it's a holiday home you can't be in two places at once. You can turn mostly everything off at home bar a few essentials whilst you holiday in the holiday home. 

There have been a few areas where some have benefitted like all blanket schemes there are those that benefit more than others.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 March 2023 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Take it on the chin. It's swings and roundabouts. I got the alternative fuel £200 for using storage heaters in a gas off grid area but at the same time, missed out on the £150 council tax band payment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback