🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

SMETS1 Prepayment Meter

Options
Does anyone know if it is possible for a supplier to remotely change a SMETS1 Prepayment meter to a normal smart meter?  I have an on-going issue with Scottish Power with a prepaid smart meter which is showing an over-credit of £200.  This has been going on for 6 months now and seems beyond the wit of SP to resolve.  In an attempt to move things on I suggested that they change the meter remotely from pre-payment to a normal credit meter (the pre-payment meter was inherited and not based on my credit-worthiness or otherwise).  My complaint handler (the 4th in 3 weeks) was initially of the opinion that it could be done, but yesterday left a message to say she 'would update me in a fortnight'!  I'm about at the end of my string with this so any help would be appreciated.
Debt Free Wannabe by 1 March 2026 

Satisfied customer of Octopus Agile - currently saving on average 33% of standard tarrif

Deep seated hatred of Scottish Power and all who sail in her - would love to see Ofgem grow a pair and actually do something about it.

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Is the meter actually acting as a smart meter - ie can the supplier pull readings from it (I’m assuming here that they have the option to do this even if the meter is in prepay mode - hopefully someone like @[Deleted User] who knows their stuff on this can confirm if that’s the case)? If so this would indicate that it’s communicating as it should, so I can see why they wouldn’t be able to remotely activate a switch to credit mode? 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MikeyPGT
    MikeyPGT Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Is the meter actually acting as a smart meter - ie can the supplier pull readings from it (I’m assuming here that they have the option to do this even if the meter is in prepay mode - hopefully someone like @[Deleted User] who knows their stuff on this can confirm if that’s the case)? If so this would indicate that it’s communicating as it should, so I can see why they wouldn’t be able to remotely activate a switch to credit mode? 
    It does communicate when it feels like it - drops signal fairly frequently but otherwise (except for the phantom £200) seems to work ok.  Scottish Power's own readings (they send bills even though it is pre-pay) agree with my calculation that it is £200 in credit more than I actually have.

Satisfied customer of Octopus Agile - currently saving on average 33% of standard tarrif

Deep seated hatred of Scottish Power and all who sail in her - would love to see Ofgem grow a pair and actually do something about it.
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 26 February 2023 at 10:42AM
    Options
    If this has been going on for 6 months and you have exhausted the SP internal complaints process you have two options imo

1) ombudsman complaint to get a decision that SP do or do not have to change your meter to a credit one (remotely as it's Smets1) with the ombudsman service being busy this could take 2 months plus and then another month for SP to implement.

2) move to a supplier known for good customer service and try the process with them.

For reference
  • MikeyPGT
    Options
    Mstty said:
    If this has been going on for 6 months and you have exhausted the SP internal complaints process you have two options imo

1) ombudsman complaint to get a decision that SP do or do not have to change your meter to a credit one (remotely as it's Smets1) with the ombudsman service being busy this could take 2 months plus and then another month for SP to implement.

2) move to a supplier known for good customer service and try the process with them.

For reference
    I have got a draft complaint ready for the ombudsman, but keep giving SP the benefit of the doubt as their complaints people do seem to be trying to do something - just not really getting anywhere.  I am intending to give Octopus a ring on Monday - have tried getting an on-line quote from them but have had no response - I suspect SP are not playing ball with them.

SP internal complaints system has certainly exhausted me!

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    Octopus won’t need SP to be interacting with them at all at the point of just looking for a quote from them - it’s only when you instruct a switch that this will happen. I suspect it’s just that Octopus are currently pretty busy migrating Bulb customers! I switched to them by phone easily enough in October. 

Remember if heading to Octopus to get a referral code from them - you probably have a friend or family member already with them, and they will have their own code, we all have our own individual one as Octopus customers and that will gain you (and your referrer) £50 each bill credit. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    MikeyPGT said:
    Does anyone know if it is possible for a supplier to remotely change a SMETS1 Prepayment meter to a normal smart meter?
    SMETS1 meters are gradually being brought back into the system so that they can function again after a change of supplier.
    You can check here: https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/our-smart-network/current-programmes/smets1-enrolment-and-adoption/
    I have SMETS1 meters which are not on the DCC network yet, but the In Home Display still works so I can see usage and current meter readings on them - they just arent connected to my supplier yet.
    (Although oddly I've just been moved from SSE to OVO and they seem to have my daily gas usage but not electricity yet).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure