IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

I keep getting tickets for a car that's not mine

There's a car somewhere in the Greater London area that has a number plate very similar to mine. The only difference is one letter - mine has a B and this other car is a D. However, the other car has a smudge or a stud going through the middle of the "D" so whenever they commit a traffic violation (and it appears they have a fetish for driving in bus lanes), I get a ticket sent to my address because the machines misread the "D" for a  "B" and send a fine through to my address.

I've so far successfully challenged 2 of these, and a third one just arrived today. It's getting a bit tiring, and I don't even want to think of the hassle that I would have to go through if the car was involved into anything more serious.. or if the PCN didn't make it through to my address and I couldn't challenge it in time.

What are my options here? Is it a police thing? Is it a DVLA thing? Should I cut my losses and get a personalised number plate? Anyone with any similar experiences?

For what it's worth, I live around 100 miles away from London I've never actually driven a car in London.

Replies

• Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are these  all council tickets?
    Is the other vehicle the same type/ make model as yours?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • SlappermumSlappermum Forumite
    48 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Council tickets. Two different councils so far.

Different make and model, similar colour. Mine's a Kia Ceed, theirs is a Volvo XC70
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sometimes people place a black screw cover strategically in a number plate on purpose to change a digit whereas there are colours to match the background so this would not happen.
    This should be reported as the other driver might have done this on purpose, you can report it at a police station, you can get 3 points for altering a VRN, though of course this could be quite innocent.
  • edited 2 February at 2:20PM
    SlappermumSlappermum Forumite
    48 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 February at 2:20PM
    Ok so I've registered a complaint with DVLA but doubt that will amount to much.

The police thing might actually work - even if it's not intentional, surely the owner is responsible for the number plate to read correctly? Then again, the police may well tell me it's not their jurisdiction... that it's the DVLA I should contact. And thus a vicious circle of bureaucracy gets started.

Thanks for all the advice so far, all!

Attached one of the pics from PCN that shows the offending D
  • fisherjimfisherjim Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ok so I've registered a complaint with DVLA but doubt that will amount to much.

The police thing might actually work - even if it's not intentional, surely the owner is responsible for the number plate to read correctly? Then again, the police may well tell me it's not their jurisdiction... that it's the DVLA I should contact. And thus a vicious circle of bureaucracy gets started.

Thanks for all the advice so far, all!

Attached one of the pics from PCN that shows the offending D

Hmm well that looks deliberate to me, why on earth would you put a screw so close to the centre of a plate it makes no sense.
    The traffic police are responsible for monitoring VRN compliance and there is a maximum £1000 fine with 3 points for altering VRN's. The DVLA st down the rules the police enforce them, bearing in mind the authorities can trace a vehicle travelling from the North to the South of the country with a network of 11,000 ANPR cameras and 50million reads a day it must be important to them.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    116.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you REALLY INSIST (and please do) the DVLA can put a 'flag' against your V5C record not to release data if the car details are (make/model of the other car) because this is not the same vehicle and has been shown to be a numberplate with a D with a bolt in the middle, not B.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD