What small things have you done w/c 23/01/2023

twiggy86
twiggy86 Forumite Posts: 2,022
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

When we start on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards, and canceling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer every day to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free. 

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.   

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important 😀

Starting again..

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Forumite Posts: 7,337
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Afternoon all :)
    Thanks for starting the thread @twiggy86 :)
    Today I have:
    Chilly walk with dog first thing - brrrr! Free exercise though, especially as he wanted to run most of the way :D
    Housework today, OH helped
    Restocked my sales unit this afternoon, sold a couple of items straight away :) 
    All meals from stores - I did a big batch cook on Saturday, so not much cooking needed. We will have sausage casserole and mash tonight. I have sweet potato soup on the hob for lunches, and OH will make fishcakes with the leftover mash.
    Stove alight now, with kettles on top for 'free' hot water
    Nothing spent today :)

• allydowd
    allydowd Forumite Posts: 4,911
    Forumite
    Hi January Money Jugglers,

Thanks for the starter @twiggy86

Another precious day off today.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Eight:

Alarm clock off at the wall during day time.

• Calculated how much the elec/gas bill will be tomorrow. Should be £5 in credit after it's paid. We saved a week on this because we were away from home.
    • Did my financial planning for the next week. It's going to be tight.
    • Washed car by hand. All the local car washes are closed because they're frozen solid.
    • Unblocked sink drain myself because I am an idiot and poured fat down it. Hot water, bicarb,vinegar and a drain snake from the Pound Shop did it.
    • Dinner was a takeaway with money given to me as a gift.

Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Forumite Posts: 4,072
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi everyone

Thanks for starting us off this week @twiggy86

@allydowd - can you remind me about internet security/anti virus - do you recommend free or paying (usually I pay but struggling atm)

Popping back in but also being gentle with myself.  Today's small things

45 min walk with DH 
    Checked Bank & made PAD 
    Load of washing and on heated airer
    Entered a couple of comps 
    Purged a few emails 
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer 
    Checked: PMP, WinaDinner, Daali  
    Restricted electricty usage 5-6pm (also signed up to Power Rewards and earned a £5 Amazon voucher (for signing up) and then earn points for using less compared to historic usage - only for people with a Smart Meter  and ideally an in house display - referrals are availe up to 31st Jan - £5 each)

See you all tomorrow

C x
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 41/52

• allydowd
    Forumite
    edited 23 January at 10:13PM
    ziggy2407 said:

@allydowd - can you remind me about internet security/anti virus - do you recommend free or paying (usually I pay but struggling atm)

Hi ya dear friend,

I recommend FREE. We've been using FREE to keep us safe for about 10 years and it has kept us safe, never let us down.

Currently using Avast on laptops and phones. (Link) You get occasional adverts come up when you run a scan trying to sell you things but you can just ignore them. Most often it says "You are not fully protected" but that just means that you haven't got access to some fancy additional features. You get full virus protection on the free version.

Used to use AVG. That was good too. (Link)

Years ago I used to pay for anti-virus and the viruses still got through.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Forumite Posts: 2,022
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Morning all!

Today I have/will:
    • Check banks
    • Take leftover pasta to work for lunch and OH took the last of it with him 
    • Drive on eco mode 
    • Update spreadsheet... to reflect a NSD yesterday :) 
    • Play around with budget for Feb (will finalise tomorrow when I know what's coming from OH) 
    • Dinner from stores 
    • Turn oven off after use
    • Crochet in front of the TV 
    I can't think of anything else for now! Hope everyone has a good day!
    Twigs 
    Starting again..
  • allydowd
    Forumite
    edited 24 January at 12:15PM
    Hi January Money Jugglers,

Another precious day off today.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Eight:

• Alarm clock off at the wall during day time.
    • Shopped for two new pairs of trousers using money gifted to me. Am bidding on eBay for one pair. Might be able to get them for under a fiver.
    • Bought food for packed lunches. It'll come in at 97p per day.
    • Did a free Backup of my important Life Management files.

• DawnW
    DawnW Forumite Posts: 7,337
    Forumite
    Wow, congratulations @BlueJ94 !
    Still really cold here. Bored of it now. We went out today, to see DD1, who lives about an hour and a half's drive away. A nice day out, she made us a yummy lunch and we went for a lovely walk in their woods. Dog had a great time.
    Nothing much done - though I did put the washing on the airer to dry before we left this morning, and swerved OH's idea to get a chippy tea on the way home. Not necessary, and my lack of gall bladder would not appreciate it in any case :#  Came home, cooked some rice and heated up chilli made at the weekend instead :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 232K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback