Annual vs. upon maturity interest payments at a fixed term savings account

edited 23 January at 10:56AM in Savings & investments
4 replies 109 views
sgogsgog Forumite
10 Posts
Second Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 23 January at 10:56AM in Savings & investments
Suppose that I have £10,000 I'd like to put into a 5-year fixed term savings account and I have a £500/y savings allowance.

One option is to get 4.5% when it matures, and another is to get 4.4% that is paid annually.

Am I correct to understand that the second option is better since the first one would mean I get all the interest at once and, although compounded, get taxed and the second pays just under the allowance so I get to keep it all tax-free?

Replies

• Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sgog said:
    Suppose that I have £10,000 I'd like to put into a 5-year fixed term savings account and I have a £500/y savings allowance.

One option is to get 4.5% when it matures, and another is to get 4.4% that is paid annually.

Am I correct to understand that the second option is better since the first one would mean I get all the interest at once and, although compounded, get taxed and the second pays just under the allowance so I get to keep it all tax-free?

It's still taxable income and forms part of your adjusted net income.

So even if £500 is taxed at 0% you can still have a larger tax liability, typically where HICBC or tapered Personal Allowance are involved.
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    To add to the above helpful answer, this might make useful reading: https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • sgogsgog Forumite
    10 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    sgog said:

It's still taxable income and forms part of your adjusted net income.

So even if £500 is taxed at 0% you can still have a larger tax liability, typically where HICBC or tapered Personal Allowance are involved.
    I am dazed and confused now  :).
    What should I check to figure out which option would net more? (assuming I make £50-100k, and no kids, if that helps.)

• p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm going to request that this post is moved over to the Savings and Investments board, which is a better place for it