Energy bills unaffordable - ovo

Options
Hi, newbie here but in desperate help. 

My boyfriend lives in a one bedroom terraced very small place. His meter says he is using 20 kw of electricity every day but he isn’t even there. He is at work. When he comes home he sits in candle light, he uses a fire for heating. He has one quick shower a day, puts the oven on only to cook.

It’s heartbreaking as ovo don’t care. They say that he owes over £2500 in electricity for the last 3 months. 

They have said that if he wants the meter checked he will have to pay for someone to come out and look at it.

It’s really effecting his
mental health and I’m really worried about him. 

Any help would be amazing 
thanks for reading 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,443 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the meter readings he can take agree with what OVO claim he is using?  And I'm assuming from what you say there's no gas.  And that he moved in there 3 months back?  Or why is it that suddenly his use appears to have increased?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 19 January 2023 at 9:33PM
    Options
    20kwh a day for three months would cost approx £650 at 34p kWh plus standing charge not £2500

What you need is the start reading from when he moved in and the reading today or tomorrow and come back to the forum with that information.
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,052 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does he have an immersion heater or suchlike stuck on all the time that he doesn't know about?
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2023 at 9:19PM
    Options
    Using candles will be far, far more expensive than electric light, as well as an unnecessary fire risk.
    Five hours of candlelight: 50p.
    Five hours using a 6W filamentary LED bulb (60W equivalent) @ 34p/kWh: 1.02p
    Time to do the Meter Sanity Test
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Just for a fuller picture, what type of heating is in his house (even if he doesn't turn it on)?  When you say a fire, do you mean an electric fire or an actual burning wood fire?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,649 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you can show suitably redacted pictures of his latest statements, people might be able to help. The £2500 bill for 3 months doesn't quite match the claimed daily usage. How long has he lived there? Does he provide readings, or has a smart meter, or have estimates been used and a recent actual reading has caught up after low estimates? Is he electric only? 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

It’s heartbreaking as ovo don’t care. 

Any help would be amazing 
    thanks for reading 
    On face value this is not OVO's problem - as above meter reads, type of heating ............    or a combination thereof. Meter and billing issues not withstanding.

I await your boyfriends response to the questions above
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • serpico100
    Options
    Mstty said:
    20kwh a day for three months would cost approx £650 at 34p kWh plus standing charge not £2500

Minus the 3 months energy support payments which brings it down to £450
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2023 at 10:30PM
    Options
    OP, please can you post either a redacted copy of a recent bill, or some meter readings (one current, one from maybe 3m back, and a year back if possible). We ideally need to know the annual usage.
    How is the property heated and hot watered?
    As pointed out above, he cannot possibly have run up £2.5k of usage in 3 months, which indicates that he already had a debt of nearly £2k before that point. 20kWh per day is quite low usage if the property is all electric, that's about £210 per month, and of course much lower outside the winter season.
    What is  the billing history prior to the winter season?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure