EDF six month review and bill

Options
Norman_Castle
Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
I got moved to EDF for my gas after a previous supplier failed. I now get a six month review based on how my payments are matching my usage however despite giving monthly readings and having a record of my monthly payments there is no where on my online account which shows the current balance on my account. I want to know if my payments are behind or ahead of my usage. I understand its best to be ahead through the winter but I don't trust EDF to set a fair DD. From previous experience with them they always overcharge then trickle any overpayment back to you very slowly. I used to have to phone them annually to argue my case not to raise my DD amount to what they choose, I'd support my argument by dividing annual usage by 12 which is something they were never able ( or honest enough )to do. They know the amount used and the money received so why can't they provide a current balance every month?
I'd be happy to move to another supplier if suppliers are taking new customers, are they?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 17 January 2023 at 6:51PM
    Options
    I agree  -  what you can do is go to Chat and ask

PS Your challenge is to contact Chat.  Links don't seem to work.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could always get EDF to bill you for your use each month so you don't need to worry if DD is too high or not as it's based on what you've used. It does mean that Jan bills will be much much higher than June though.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The app shows your current account balance.
  • Robin9
    Options
    Not quite - it shows your DDs plus balance at last statement but NOT the cost of the energy used.
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    jimjames said:
    You could always get EDF to bill you for your use each month so you don't need to worry if DD is too high or not as it's based on what you've used. It does mean that Jan bills will be much much higher than June though.
    Didn't know that was an option, are the costs the same?

• Norman_Castle
    Options
    molerat said:
    I don't want an EDF app. If the app can offer the information why can't it be available in my online account?

• Robin9
    Options
    molerat said:
    I don't want an EDF app. If the app can offer the information why can't it be available in my online account?

Good question - but as above the App info doesn't tell the full story.
  • GibbsRule_No3.
    Options

I don’t have gas but do you not get this kind of bill?  If so can you, at least for now or until you either swap to a different supplier or do as others have suggested, pay monthly rather than DD work out what you think your DD should be?

This adds up to £413.60 for the last six months. I have been paying £110 DD and this bill EDF gave me back £304 (£371 with the added Government part) so it probably meant I had roughly £50~ from the previous bill.  Looking at my bill and the rise in prices, I’m happy to leave my DD as it is, in the hope that next bill it is about right or still in a little bit of credit.

Paddle No 21:wave:
  • Norman_Castle
    Options

I don’t have gas but do you not get this kind of bill?  If so can you, at least for now or until you either swap to a different supplier or do as others have suggested, pay monthly rather than DD work out what you think your DD should be?
    I get a bill every six months which is the only time I know the balance on my account. If I'm underpaying which from experience with EDF is unlikely I'd like to know, equally if I'm building a larger than necessary credit which from experience with EDF is likely I'd like to know. I don't understand why the can't give this information and suspect they're happy not to as it benefits them. My money being stored in their account.

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,649 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I left EDF about 18 months ago, as I’d found a slightly better deal elsewhere, but also because I hated their 6 monthly billing. I knew my ongoing costs as I maintained all the necessary data in a spreadsheet. I adjusted my DD up and down as I deemed necessary to hit a zero balance at the end of the contract (this was in the good old days of competitive fixes and switching). 
    They are moving over to the Octopus Kraken billing system, but I don’t think that’s until some time in 2024. With Eon Next now, but their customer service isn’t a patch on what it used to be as just Eon. Shame, but I’m on a really good fix! 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback