Is this legal?

Options
bugbyte_2
bugbyte_2 Posts: 413 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
Writing on behalf of my son - He lives in a HMO with one main electric meter that splits into a meter for each of the 6 flats. My son has to buy credit from the landlord directly who charges 39p Kw/h, but the main meter charges the landlord 32p Kw/h, so he is making 7p per Kw/h from everyone, which adds up to an extra about £14 per flat per month. In addition, none of the government grants have filtered through to the tennants. Is any of this legal or just unethical?
Edible geranium

Comments

• Officer_Dibble
    Officer_Dibble Posts: 382 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 January 2023 at 6:03PM
    Options
    If they're only paying 39p/kWh then the government grants (at least the EPG "cap") have filtered down, as that's significantly lower than the Ofgem price cap.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The LL is not allowed to make a profit but he can recover the costs of maintaining  the installation up to your sons flat.

Your son does not qualify for the government £400 grant.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Also, is it 32p plus VAT maybe?
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    Does your son pay any daily standing charge?
  • bugbyte_2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, my son does not pay for a standing charge so tis may account for it.
    Edible geranium
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He'll be able to apply for the EBSS Alternative Funding scheme sometime later this month.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • bugbyte_2
    Options

If they're only paying 39p/kWh then the government grants (at least the EPG "cap") have filtered down, as that's significantly lower than the Ofgem price cap.
    Aforementioned son here 

Thanks for your reply, I am unsure what you mean by 39p/kWh being less than the Ofgem price cap, on the Ofgem website it says that its 34p/kWh? 

As for a standing charge the landlords meter does have a £3.50ish per week as a standing charge but even so that would not come any ware close to accounting for the difference. 

As for VAT I have to assume that the figure on both the meters either include or exclude VAT I would be extremely surprised if one included and the other excluded. 
    Edible geranium
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    bugbyte_2 said:

Thanks for your reply, I am unsure what you mean by 39p/kWh being less than the Ofgem price cap, on the Ofgem website it says that its 34p/kWh? 

The price cap is for standard variable domestic tariffs paid for by Direct Debit, which doesn't apply to you.

Your landlord may be on a commercial tariff (in which case he won't be getting the £400) or it could be a more expensive domestic tariff because of not being paid by DD.

You say the main meter charges the LL 32p/kWh, how do you know this?  What type of meter is it (e.g. prepayment)?
  • bugbyte_2
    Options
    Thanks, that's very clear.
    Edible geranium
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts