Flooring company taken full payment £1,400 now fitter say flooring can not be fitted .

in Consumer rights
9 replies 584 views
harlharl Forumite
101 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
On 01/12/22  I chose wooden floor from flooring company in Widnes Cheshire they sent surveyor to look & measure up he confirmed flooring I had chosen is suitable to lay over top just to remove skirting & fill any gaps ready for fitting & clear rooms on day .
They required payment in full £1,400 for the flooring however pay the fitting company separately on the day .
Two wks later the fitters arrived & within 1 hour stated they are unable to fit the flooring as the floor beneath will need to be removed 
This would mean several days of work at huge amount of costs involved besides what’s already been paid
The fitters then took all the flooring packs mainly unopened back & we not had any response other than the floor can not be fitted .
The flooring company are refusing to give a refund & say as good will gesture they will only issue a credit note .
I believe we have been miss sold & should be entitled to full refund due to surveyor stated their product is suitable .
we paid on credit card & thinking is it possible to claim via charge back for item not received or accept a credit note for £1,400
Thanks you any advise given .

Replies

• AlderbankAlderbank Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    harl said:
    On 01/12/22  I chose wooden floor from flooring company in Widnes Cheshire they sent surveyor to look & measure up he confirmed flooring I had chosen is suitable to lay over top just to remove skirting & fill any gaps ready for fitting & clear rooms on day .
    They required payment in full £1,400 for the flooring however pay the fitting company separately on the day .
    Two wks later the fitters arrived & within 1 hour stated they are unable to fit the flooring as the floor beneath will need to be removed 
    This would mean several days of work at huge amount of costs involved besides what’s already been paid
    The fitters then took all the flooring packs mainly unopened back & we not had any response other than the floor can not be fitted .
    The flooring company are refusing to give a refund & say as good will gesture they will only issue a credit note .
    I believe we have been miss sold & should be entitled to full refund due to surveyor stated their product is suitable .
    we paid on credit card & thinking is it possible to claim via charge back for item not received or accept a credit note for £1,400
    Thanks you any advise given .

You certainly can't claim for item not received, because you received it!

What is the existing floor? Parquet? Laminate? Sheet vinyl? Quarry tiles? What condition is it in, in your opinion?

What type of flooring have you bought?

What would you like the outcome to be? For example, if the flooring could be fitted OK but you don't like the colour now you have seen it in your home, then a credit note to exchange it for a different pattern might be acceptable
  • edited 9 January at 11:10PM
    HillStreetBluesHillStreetBlues Forumite
    919 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 January at 11:10PM
    Has the flooring company disputed that the flooring they sold you can't be fitted? And when did you  pay for the flooring?
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • visidigivisidigi Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Flooring company sent surveyor. Flooring company dispute between surveyor and themselves, not the customer.

Customer paid in good faith that professional employee selected by flooring supplier was correct. Surely the issue here lies with the surveyor approving the work to proceed incorrectly.

Therefore customer should be entitled to a full refund as the service/product paid for cannot be completed as defined.

Surely?
  • harlharl Forumite
    101 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Payment made on order this what Flooring company insisted .
    The fitters took all flooring away with them Never even left one plank .
    basically we have paid £1,400 yet have not had the floor done or have the product .
    The flooring company response is that they will only refund In credit note .
    Yet surely it’s their fault
    The flooring company’s advertisement claims 

(1) book appointment ( 2) we send surveyor ( 3 ) buyer make full payment ( 4 fitting date confirmation.

• Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Forumite
    While I totally respect it's an annoying situation and in all honesty they should be issuing a refund I'm curious as to what your plans are now for the floor. Are you just leaving the old floor and not bothering anymore?
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    harl said:
    Does this effectively form two separate contracts then, i.e. supply of parts by one company and then fitment by another company separately, or is the latter acting as subcontractor to the former - what are the Ts & Cs governing this?

harl said:
    they sent surveyor to look & measure up he confirmed flooring I had chosen is suitable to lay over top just to remove skirting & fill any gaps ready for fitting & clear rooms on day .
    Was this confirmation in writing?
  • m0bovm0bov Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Sounds like miss sold. I assume you still want the floor?
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    10K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    m0bov said:
    Or fitters are trying to pull a fast one to get more £££
    Life in the slow lane
  • ThumbRemoteThumbRemote Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Forumite
    m0bov said:

Personally I'd be wanting a refund, and to get as far away as possible from a company that ignores consumer rights in this manner.