Loss if not UK tax resident

edited 27 December 2022 at 11:31PM in Cutting tax
2 replies 106 views
kerrickkerrick Forumite
90 Posts
10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 27 December 2022 at 11:31PM in Cutting tax
If you buy an investment (shares, funds, etfs) when you are longterm resident for tax overseas, you sell while overseas, and make a capital loss. The local tax rules allow losses to offset gains in the same period, and to be carried forward to offset any gains in future years.

If you have unused losses crystallised, then you move to the UK and become UK tax resident, can you now carry forward those unused losses against future UK gains? If not, is the only way to set losses against UK gains to not sell while overseas, but to sell and crystallise the loss only after becoming UK tax resident?


Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools