🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Extorting Economy 7 Users

Options
trouser
trouser Posts: 11 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've just received an email, basically it just highlights that the energy price cap is a licence to print cash for economy 7 tarif users.   Basically what its saying is that they can charge whatever they want as long as it equates to £2500 for an average home (a figure which is far too low for all electric users)

This now means that my day rate has jumped to 41p  yes 41p.   That means ive now to turn into nosferatu for i just cant afford to use anything through the day.  They want their £2,500  and they want it bad any way they can.

Cap our unit prices now,  I foresee illegal tree felling and fuel thefts on the horizon,  hell community warm houses are already here.  What a disgrace our country is in.  

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Further to Deleted_User's post (although it is correct) … What's your heating setup?  What's your usage split?
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    trouser said:
    I've just received an email, basically it just highlights that the energy price cap is a licence to print cash for economy 7 tarif users.   Basically what its saying is that they can charge whatever they want as long as it equates to £2500 for an average home (a figure which is far too low for all electric users)

This now means that my day rate has jumped to 41p  yes 41p.   That means ive now to turn into nosferatu for i just cant afford to use anything through the day.  They want their £2,500  and they want it bad any way they can.

Cap our unit prices now,  I foresee illegal tree felling and fuel thefts on the horizon,  hell community warm houses are already here.  What a disgrace our country is in.  
    Tell you what - how about you swap YOUR day rate for MY day rate - at 44p a unit, Hmmm...? Is it extortionate - heck no - currently my average unit price is around 20p/kWh I think - because my night rate is just under 15p a unit, and my current split is 85/15% in favour of off-peak use.  I'm expecting my annual bill this year to be somewhere around £1500 or a bit less so I would very much dispute the suggestion that all-electric households have to be costing a fortune! 

If you're finding you're using lots of energy-hungry stuff on the peak rate (think heating, tumble dryer, shower etc) then perhaps E7 isn't right for you? It's always going to work best when people transfer as much of their use as possible to the off-peak period. 

How much do you use on each rate over a year? 

🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    mmmmikey said:
    My day rate is going up to 51.92p/kWh which for me is really good news, because EDF achieve that by setting a low night rate which is going down to 5.88p/kWh and 95% of my use is at night. It's always been the case that you pay more for day rate electricity on E7 than you would if you were on a single rate tariff.
    I hate you... :lol: 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 December 2022 at 6:29PM
    Options
    EDF economy 10 going up from 46.59p to 54.47p and reducing from 11.8p to 7p off peak 10 hours.  Eastern region. On my annual usage makes it couple of quid more expensive per month.  But 54p a unit!! 
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 December 2022 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Does anyone have a link to the upcoming EDF E7 standard tariff prices per region?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure