IMFS & SSE

Options
Hi, we recently moved house and settled up our bill with SSE and received a refund on our final bill which was sent via a cheque. Now more than 6 months on we got an email saying we were due SSE nearly £250 as they've recalculated our bills going back to December 2021 but all those bills were exact meter readings not estimated by SSE and we were in credit on all those bills. The debt has been passed to IMFS, I'm just not sure I should pay it, SSE wouldn't explain why they had recalculated, I spent ages on the phone getting nowhere with an Indian gentleman and was supposed to receive a call from a higher up person which never happened and the IMFS letter turned up.

Andy

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Licence Conditions require a supplier to issue a final bill within 6 weeks of a transfer of supply. A supplier can re-issue a bill at anytime and under the Statute of Limitations it has 6 years to make a claim for repayment.

Two options that I can see:

Make a formal complaint to SSE in WRITING stating that you dispute the amount claimed giving as much detail as possible. This should halt all legal proceedings. If necessary, you can escalate the complaint to The Energy Ombudsman.

Or, send the debt collection agency a PROVE IT letter:

https://debtcamel.co.uk/prove-it/

Personally, I would go for the complaint first,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family