Transfer out of Vanguard S&S ISA into a cash savings account?

edited 20 January at 2:34PM in Savings & investments
8 replies 736 views
anxiousnowanxiousnow Forumite
79 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
edited 20 January at 2:34PM in Savings & investments
I've got a small amount (£2500) in a Vanguard S&S ISA and have noticed the recent reduction in interest which obviously I'd expect due to market volatility. I put it in there a few years ago when cash ISA rates were low and am now wondering whether I'd be better off transferring the money into a 3 or 4 per cent interest account.

I'm 41, have a separate (not Vanguard!) S&S Lifetime ISA (for retirement) and private pensions, so feel like I currently have a fair amount in S&S/investments which could be volatile in the current climate. So far have been telling myself to ride the storm and wait and not even check the Vanguard account because investments are long term etc etc.

Are there any fees for transferring an S&S ISA out of Vanguard?

[edited because I confused everyone with putting an L in front of ISA - sorry!]
I can't remember ever choosing that username!
Hobbies include chasing best interest rates to maximise savings, trying to overpay the mortgage, and growing my own veg. 

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've got a small amount (£2500) in a Vanguard S&S ISA and have noticed the recent reduction in interest which obviously I'd expect due to market volatility.
    There is no reduction in interest.  Indeed, the yield on the interest paying elements have gone up.

I put it in there a few years ago when cash ISA rates were low and am now wondering whether I'd be better off transferring the money into a 3 or 4 per cent interest account.
    Investing is for the long term.  In a typical five year period you will get one negative year, one nothing year and three positive years.   You need the timescale to average out the ups and downs.

I'm 41. have an S&S Lifetime ISA (for retirement) and private pensions, so feel like I currently have a fair amount in S&S/investments which could be volatile in the current climate.
    Current climate is no different to any other cycle when it comes to investing.

So far have been telling myself to ride the storm and wait and not even check the Vanguard account because investments are long term etc etc.
    That is correct.   Plus, they have been rising by more than cash savings over the last 6 weeks.

Are there any fees for transferring an S&S LISA out of Vanguard?
    No.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

Is this an error, I did not think Vanguard even offered a LISA?

• jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    16.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

For £2.5k you don't even need to transfer it out, just close it and withdraw, then pay into the savings account. But as above you need to consider what the purpose is. Do you have other cash savings as an emergency fund?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    24.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    As above, it's questionable whether you actually have a S&S LISA with Vanguard, but, just to be clear, you can only transfer from one Lifetime ISA to another LISA without penalty, i.e. if you wanted to transfer from a LISA to a different type of ISA, that incurs a 25% penalty.
  • edited 8 December 2022 at 10:37AM
    daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 December 2022 at 10:37AM
    As above there's confusing terminology in the first post.  Is it a LISA or a ISA?

S&S ISAs don't pay interest, they pay returns, which do go up and down monthly.

It is important not to look at the now as falls always look worse than rises.   Look at the whole period you have held the fund and the cumulative effect of the monthly changes. There will be falls and rises, but I have experienced far more rises than falls and the returns are well in excess of what I would have earned by sticking the money in savings accounts.

If you have time to continue investing in the S&S ISA it is very likely the general long term historic trend will continue into the future. I.e an overall rise.
  • anxiousnowanxiousnow Forumite
    79 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Whoops yes that's my mistake, have corrected the original post. It's a Stocks and Shares ISA, without the L.

As above there's confusing terminology in the first post.  Is it a LISA or a ISA?

S&S ISAs don't pay interest, they pay returns, which do go up and down monthly.

It is important not to look at the now as falls always look worse than rises.   Look at the whole period you have held the fund and the cumulative effect of the monthly changes. There will be falls and rises, but I have experienced far more rises than falls and the returns are well in excess of what I would have earned by sticking the money in savings accounts.

If you have time to continue investing in the S&S ISA it is very likely the general long term historic trend will continue into the future. I.e an overall rise.

eskbanker said:
    As above, it's questionable whether you actually have a S&S LISA with Vanguard, but, just to be clear, you can only transfer from one Lifetime ISA to another LISA without penalty, i.e. if you wanted to transfer from a LISA to a different type of ISA, that incurs a 25% penalty.

Is this an error, I did not think Vanguard even offered a LISA?

I can't remember ever choosing that username!
    Hobbies include chasing best interest rates to maximise savings, trying to overpay the mortgage, and growing my own veg. 
  • jacko74jacko74 Forumite
    377 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How long should it normally take for funds to hit my bank account when withdrawing/transferring from an investment fund?

I withdrew a portion of my Fundsmith holding (T Class Acc) 11 days ago now but my full original investment figure is still visible  and the withdrawal transaction is still only showing as ''pending'' when I log in to my Fundsmith account
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    24.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    jacko74 said:
    How long should it normally take for funds to hit my bank account when withdrawing/transferring from an investment fund?

I withdrew a portion of my Fundsmith holding (T Class Acc) 11 days ago now but my full original investment figure is still visible  and the withdrawal transaction is still only showing as ''pending'' when I log in to my Fundsmith account
    As your issue relates to a different process for a different investment on a different platform, I'd suggest that posting on (or starting) another thread would be better than piggy-backing onto this one....