First Direct

edited 6 December 2022 at 9:10PM in Savings & investments
6 replies 722 views
steviostevio Forumite
39 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 6 December 2022 at 9:10PM in Savings & investments
Hi my wife and I have a joint acount with Natwest and she has an account with them in her name only. Martin says we can get £175 if we switch!
So does that mean We can only open a joint account with them and get the £175?
Or could my wife also open an account in her name only and receive the £175 to switch as well?

Or could I apply to switch the joint account in my name only to qualify for the £175
and my wife still open an account in her name only? to qualify for the £175?
Mnay thanks,
Steve

Replies

• redpeteredpete Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can't switch a joint account to two sole accounts and get two switching bonuses.

First Direct don't allow you to switch a joint account to a sole account (It's in their FAQs.)

You could change your NatWest account into a sole account, and then the other of you could open a new sole account, then you could switch both and get the two bonuses.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • steviostevio Forumite
    39 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks Redpete
  • ExodiExodi Forumite
    2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Don't forget the market busting 7% AER interest rate offered on their regular saver.

You can deposit up to £300 per month for 12 months (but it does penalise you for taking the money out - it's effectively a savings bond.)

But if you can do without £300 a month for the next year, 7% is significant and higher than any other savings product on the market (as I'm aware).
    Know what you don't
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    FYI,
    There is also another forum for banking, where specific details about current account switching are often discussed.
    Budgeting & bank accounts — MoneySavingExpert Forum
  • katejokatejo Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Exodi said:
    Don't forget the market busting 7% AER interest rate offered on their regular saver.

You can deposit up to £300 per month for 12 months (but it does penalise you for taking the money out - it's effectively a savings bond.)

But if you can do without £300 a month for the next year, 7% is significant and higher than any other savings product on the market (as I'm aware).
    I have one of these which started a few months ago so I am pleased. I have had confirmation of this.
  • steviostevio Forumite
    39 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks guys brilliant. We have decided to change the joint into a sole account for me.
    then apply for two seperate accounts.
    The operative from first direct said I could open a joint account and my wife could open a sole account, but when I quizzed her on this and after checking she also said if we did that my wife would be an existing customer so she wouldn't get the bonus!

Just got to renew my wifes passport now to change our joint account and she will also need it to apply for the first direct account lol
    Cheers!
    Merry Christmas!