Cost of bypassing the room thermostat and just rely on the trv

Options
_Jem_
_Jem_ Posts: 308 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
This year isn't the time i want to be messing around with my heating due to increased energy costs. but my room thermostat is in a terrible place in the hallway, last year i said to myself i was just going to use the radiator TRV. will it be a big increase of energy if i have the radiator in the hallway always on? and then the boiler always running, well i say boiler it's a HIU as I'm with eonheat (district heating)

I'm not allowed to change the room thermostat. So using the TRV is the only option. 

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 December 2022 at 9:05PM
    Options
    You would be using this with some form of timer too?  So not on 24 hours, but setting it to be on for a few set hours?  If your issue last year was that you were not getting warm enough, then getting the house warmer will of course use more energy.
    Experiment - take daily readings (can you with district heating?) and try it one way for a few days and then the other way...  So long as you keep a close track of your usage you can call a halt to the experiment if you do use more than you want to.

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • _Jem_
    Options
    No not on for 24 hours, i would still use the room thermostat in the hallway but have it cranked up high.

The room thermostat does its job by getting up to temperature but when the living room starts to cool down and the hallway starts to cool down the thermostat just comes on/off not long enough for any heat to come through the radiators. it's two things the location is in a bad place and it's a rubbish thermostat.

My bedroom is like walking into the fridge lol so using the trv would be much better. 
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    Options
    Hi OP
    Apols if I misunderstood you. We turn our thermo to ful blast since we had the new heating and controlled all others via the TRV's. The one rad does not have the TRV is on the top landing is on full blast all of the time and heating is spread to rooms etc - the bedroom TRVS are set to lower levels and the bathroom a bit higher.
    It works for us as heating where we need it and thermo on full blast so it does not turn off. We turn off the boiler via a simple on/off button for the heating and don't user timers etc as we dont got to work now.

Thanks

• _Jem_
    Options
    @diystarter7 No you haven't misunderstood that's exactly what I'm wanting to do, I'm in a flat at the moment i have it come on for a hour early in the morning just to raise the temperature a bit then it comes on at 5pm. I'm just worried about the cost of having the HIU running and the hallway radiator always on. You can't manually turn the HIU on or off without using a room thermostat.  i really hate district heating much rather have a gas boiler.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks
    I can't recall even mum and dads house not having TRVs's or whatever they are called and often the one without the TRV as you have to have one rad like that is often in a place where heating is always required and easily shared but you live in a flat. 

I'm not sure re solution but others will tell you. Rads with TRV, adjusting the flow may help I've done at work but it may unbalance the rads. Therefore TRV's but cost etc to consider

I'm sure some plumber here will come on after the football is finished and they are not drunk and help out

For us it works but in a flat and poss lacking some TRV's not so sure.
  • _Jem_
    edited 4 December 2022 at 10:04PM
    Options
    Thanks all radiators in the flat has trv's accept the one, This has to be the worst room thermostat ever as it keeps turning the HIU on but only for 2-5 minutes not enough time for the radiators to get warm so in a way everytime it comes on it wasting that little bit of heat that I'm being charged for.

For example heating came at 5pm-6.30pm thats when it reached the target temperature and then when the temperature has dropped the HIU has been coming on and off without heating the rooms. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 5 December 2022 at 10:46AM
    Options
    For example heating came at 5pm-6.30pm thats when it reached the target temperature and then when the temperature has dropped the HIU has been coming on and off without heating the rooms. 

The HIU is doing what it is designed to do which is to maintain a set thermostat temperature which is why it is cycling on and off. A HIU is essentially a pump with an on/off valve. Heat is being used not wasted. For 50years, I have had to explain to my family that a cool radiator doesn’t necessarily mean a low room temperature.

The heating characteristics of your various rooms will differ depending on size; insulation; outlook and radiator size. There is no harm in setting a thermostat temperature higher than the highest TRV temperature setting; however, the area around the thermostat, if it is enclosed, may get very warm. Clearly, the more heat that you put into your individual rooms the more energy you will use overall. 

• ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2022 at 10:44AM
    Options
    yes ideally you need to set it up so the temp of the radiator near the thermostat takes long enough to heat that room to the thermostat temp that the other rooms have reached temp and turned themselves off. that can mean fiddling with all three parts of the system (that valve, the thermostat and the valves in the other rooms). 

in MILs house shes a devil for leaving the door to her hall open so the best option was to turn of the rad in the hall and the thermostat turns off with heat lost from the lounge (its only a small entry way and doors at the top of the stairs). 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • _Jem_
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options

The HIU is doing what it is designed to do which is to maintain a set thermostat temperature which is why it is cycling on and off. A HIU is essentially a pump with an on/off valve. Heat is being used not wasted. For 50years, I have had to explain to my family that a cool radiator doesn’t necessarily mean a low room temperature.

The heating characteristics of your various rooms will differ depending on size; insulation; outlook and radiator size. There is no harm in setting a thermostat temperature higher than the highest TRV temperature setting; however, the area around the thermostat, if it is enclosed, may get very warm. Clearly, the more heat that you put into your individual rooms the more energy you will use overall. 

It's not the HIU that is at fault its the Room thermostat, the room thermostat is absolutely rubbish, it switches on the HIU when it shouldn't, it takes 2 minutes for the HIU to fire up then it switches off again.

I have it set for 19c it will carry on heating untill it reaches 20.5c then the room thermostat keeps turning the HIU for the, rest of the night for only 3-4 minutes.

Last night i had no heating in the rooms from 6.30pm because the room thermostat only comes on for two or 3 minutes. 

A cool radiator definitely means a cold room in this flat. 
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    _Jem_ said:
    Dolor said:

It's not the HIU that is at fault its the Room thermostat, the room thermostat is absolutely rubbish, it switches on the HIU when it shouldn't, it takes 2 minutes for the HIU to fire up then it switches off again.

I have it set for 19c it will carry on heating untill it reaches 20.5c then the room thermostat keeps turning the HIU for the, rest of the night for only 3-4 minutes.

do you know what type of thermostat it is? if its old then it might need cleaning or recalibrating if its not reading the temp right. 

https://www.homeserve.com/en-us/blog/how-to/clean-thermostat/
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback