Where to put cash?

Hi. I have about £30k in savings that I don't need access to anytime soon. I'm considering either putting this into my S&S ISA and see how it performs or go for a 1 year fixed savings account with interest of about 4%. Not sure which though would give me a greater return over a 1 year period - presumably on balance the fixed savings account at the moment?
Before anybody says it, I know the stock market offers no guarantees - if I decided to put it here, I wouldn't actually be taking it out after a year.   

Replies

• edited 2 December 2022 at 8:15PM
    masonicmasonic Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 December 2022 at 8:15PM
    Is your question, to paraphrase, "does anyone know if the stockmarket will return more or less than 4% over the next 12 months?"
    If so, the answer is no. There's a vast range of investments you could hold in your S&S ISA, and while very few would be guaranteed to deliver 4%+, over a decade or two, many would have a very good chance of outperforming cash savings.
  • IntoTheForestIntoTheForest Forumite
    85 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    None of us can tell you which would give you a better return. What you should do will depend on your risk tolerance and the time frame.

For me anything needed under 5 years will be kept in cash and anything over is invested. I have a fully funded emergency fund etc. 
    SPC  #046 2021- £293.26
    Make £2022 in 2022 #35 £10/£2022
  • CaptainWalesCaptainWales Forumite
    122 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ha! Sort of, interested in people's view on this. The way I see it is that if I don't go for the fixed option then I'm gambling with the interest that I would have otherwise earned. 
  • edited 2 December 2022 at 8:19PM
    masonicmasonic Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 December 2022 at 8:19PM
    Ha! Sort of, interested in people's view on this. The way I see it is that if I don't go for the fixed option then I'm gambling with the interest that I would have otherwise earned. 
    If it helps at all, inflation is very likely to offset all of that interest and more over the next year. Cash is rarely a good long term investment.
  • Bigwheels1111Bigwheels1111 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    5 year fixed for me and an emergency backup fund in Al Rayan easy access at 2.81%.
  • MX5huggyMX5huggy Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You’re risking a lot more than that. Stock market could fall 60% or more. As you invest for longer periods over 5 years then past 10 the chance of a loss on a broad stock market investment becomes smaller and smaller. That’s not to put you off stock market investing. 

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/articles/latest-thoughts/investing-success/why-stock-market-returns-are-anything-but-average

if you want to risk just the interest for the potential of bigger returns then that’s Premium Bonds. 
  • Dave_5150Dave_5150 Forumite
    94 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Ha! Sort of, interested in people's view on this. The way I see it is that if I don't go for the fixed option then I'm gambling with the interest that I would have otherwise earned
    You are gambling with the capital you invest too 
  • RobM99RobM99 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Savings = profit safe, capital safe.
    Invests = profit - maybe, capital at risk!
    Now a gainfully employed bassist.
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    RobM99 said:
    Savings = profit safe, capital safe.
    Invests = profit - maybe, capital at risk!
    Unfortunately with savings your capital is only safe on paper. In real terms it goes down due to inflation.
    At the moment if you had £100 K invested for one year at 4%, you would have £104K, but it would only buy £93K worth of goods at today's prices.
  • RobM99RobM99 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Agreed however investments are not FCSC protected. That's what I meant.
    Now a gainfully employed bassist.