AMAZON FRESH FRAUDELANT USE OF MY ACCOUNT

edited 29 November 2022 at 8:06AM in Consumer rights
11 replies 451 views
karlfardoekarlfardoe Forumite
4 Posts
First Post
edited 29 November 2022 at 8:06AM in Consumer rights
Someone logged into my amazon account and went shopping in an AMAZON FRESH store in London spending £94.03.  Amazon won't help, NATWEST won't help so I am stuck in limbo.  If anyone has an amazon account I would suggest that you delete your card details after every purchase so that they are not stored as no CCV number is requested after your first initial purchase. Amazon won't put me through to the fraud dept and my bank fraud has said as it was a breach of amazons security they will need to deal with it.  Amazon Fresh has said that they could call me back in a few days. So, I am struggling without money for however many days even if they do phone back. Please can anyone advise me, please?  I have twitter messaged Martin Lewis as this is something that should be looked at and people warned as well as companies to take accountability. Thank you for time if you do reply

Replies

• MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Someone logged into my amazon account and went shopping in an AMAZON FRESH store in London spending £94.03.  Amazon won't help, NATWEST won't help so I am stuck in limbo.  If anyone has an amazon account I would suggest that you delete your card details after every purchase so that they are not stored as no CCV number is requested after your first initial purchase. Amazon won't put me through to the fraud dept and my bank fraud has said as it was a breach of amazons security they will need to deal with it.  Amazon Fresh has said that they could call me back in a few days. So, I am struggling without money for however many days even if they do phone back. Please can anyone advise me, please?  I have twitter messaged Martin Lewis as this is something that should be looked at and people warned as well as companies to take accountability. Thank you for time if you do reply
    Amazon will take the view that you allowed someone to obtain your password so you inadequately protected your account and/or had given them explicit permission. 

There is no need to delete your cards from the site, you just need to make sure your account is secure, that means a strong and unique password, good device security and 2FA. 
  • karlfardoekarlfardoe Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    Amazon will take the view that you allowed someone to obtain your password so you inadequately protected your account and/or had given them explicit permission. 

There is no need to delete your cards from the site, you just need to make sure your account is secure, that means a strong and unique password, good device security and 2FA. 
    The point is that they could view cctv footage if they could actually be bothered. From the shopping which is all snacks and drinks it possibly be a amazon employee.  No one has my password details. I am fifty not five!
  • Deb2008Deb2008 Forumite
    927 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had mine bolted down beyond it and yet still got it hacked, I was lucky Amazon did sort it out and refunded the money, I have not used my account since, infact I did delete any card details and closed the account down.
    I really hope you can get this sorted @karlfardoe, its not fun at anytime, but thats a large amount of money to have missing.
    Good luck in finding out how to get the refund @karlfardoe
    2011 & 2012 - Many Fantastic Prizes - thank you to all posters 2021 7 small prizes 2022 1 small clever pots win2023
  • PLRFDPLRFD Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Cover every base thinking about who could have got your password details etc. Good luck.
    4 Posts
    First Post

The point is that they could view cctv footage if they could actually be bothered.
    Viewing the CCTV will not tell them who it was, it will just show them a person. Any further investigation would have to involve the Police who would do nothing beyond issuing a crime reference number at the most.
    karlfardoe said:
    From the shopping which is all snacks and drinks it possibly be a amazon employee.
    Why would it be an Amazon employee if it was snacks and drinks? Why would it be an Amazon employee full stop?
    karlfardoe said:
     No one has my password details. 
    Someone does, that is how they will have got into your account.
    karlfardoe said:
    I am fifty not five!
    Your age is not relevant. 
    Thanks so much for your help!
  • DullGreyGuyDullGreyGuy Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    karlfardoe said:
    That depends on how the Amazon Fresh Store's work... 

When you go to a store you go into the Amazon app it generates a QR code and you scan that code to the gate which then opens. Thats it, you just take what items you want off the shelf and just walk out the shop. About 30 minutes after you get a receipt emailed for what you took/bought. 

An obvious question is how long the QR code lasts for... it seems to generate a new one each time I've been to store but thats less than once a month. Could someone have just used a photo of the QR code rather than getting access to the account? Could someone have worked out the QR code logic so can generate random ones on demand? 

The Amazon app doesnt use location services so it cannot know if the phone logged into your account is near the store or not.
  • MikeJXEMikeJXE Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Maybe change your bank then. I spotted 5 debits on my credit card over 5 months all labelled Amazon, none of which i had made, it appears they were made in the states on Amazon.com not Amazon,uk. After speaking to Halifax all was refunded £64
    4 Posts
    First Post
    karlfardoe said:
    That depends on how the Amazon Fresh Store's work... 

When you go to a store you go into the Amazon app it generates a QR code and you scan that code to the gate which then opens. Thats it, you just take what items you want off the shelf and just walk out the shop. About 30 minutes after you get a receipt emailed for what you took/bought. 

An obvious question is how long the QR code lasts for... it seems to generate a new one each time I've been to store but thats less than once a month. Could someone have just used a photo of the QR code rather than getting access to the account? Could someone have worked out the QR code logic so can generate random ones on demand? 

The Amazon app doesnt use location services so it cannot know if the phone logged into your account is near the store or not.
    Thank you, that is my point on why it could be an employee.  I have had to do research as i dont even have the app. Was purchased in London at 9.40pm, the person was in the store for 8m 59s.  Surely there will be cctv and the phone number of the phone using the app could be identified?
  • DullGreyGuyDullGreyGuy Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    karlfardoe said:
    Surely there will be cctv and the phone number of the phone using the app could be identified?
    There will be CCTV at the time but if they retain it or for how long is a separate matter. The shops are crawling with cameras to do what they do regards just taking stuff off the shelf without scanning or anything else however if they are talking real images or some codified/simplified thing just to be able to do the basket task don't know, suspect the later. 

There is nothing to suggest the phone number of the phone is in any way used in creating the QR code and it being the offender's phone number would mean that they'd have generated it on their own phone rather than potentially just having a picture of a QR code generated on some other device.