Taxation of Annuities

You get tax relief when you save into a pension; but if you buy an annuity with that pension fund, you have to pay income tax on the annuity income; I suppose that is fair.

But what if you bought an annuity with your ordinary savings? Would you still have to pay tax on the annuity income?

Replies

  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Normally with an annuity from a pension pot, you take 25% tax free first, before buying an annuity, with the remaining 75%. So that reduces the overall tax take.
    If you buy an annuity with non pension income (quite a rare thing to do apparently). Part of the income is seen as return of capital and not taxed, and part is seen as investment growth and taxed. AFAIUI.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    But what if you bought an annuity with your ordinary savings? Would you still have to pay tax on the annuity income?
    Purchased life annuities are taxed differently.  However, that product is very very very niche nowadays.   Commercial terms are rarely favourable.


    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 24 November 2022 at 11:53AM
    MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 November 2022 at 11:53AM
    Redlander said:
    But what if you bought an annuity with your ordinary savings? Would you still have to pay tax on the annuity income?
    Short answer - yes.

    You pay income tax on virtually any income, even if that is generated from investments that you have made with post-tax income.  For example, buy a BTL and you are taxed on the profits, if you have sufficient income from savings you are taxed on that also.  For many ISA's will be the best vehicle to keep what you have away from the tax man.     


  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    24.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Redlander said:
    what if you bought an annuity with your ordinary savings?
    Perhaps worth elaborating on why you'd consider that?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals