Notice of Intent from Together Energy (TE)...

Good evening, all... I have been directed here from other MSE forums with the following question: 
I have just received in the post a Notice of Intent from Together Energy (TE), now ceased trading, asking me to pay an outstanding balance on my account with them (they are asking for £3673.67). I have been in dispute with them since 2019. There is a lot of history, however in short, I raised a complaint with the Ombudsman who found in my favor. All relates to Ofgem's back billing policies and suppliers charge recovery actions. TE originally emailed a Notice of Intent to me for the same amount on 19th July 2022 (which I disputed in emails). However, my question for this forum is how long is a Notice of Intent valid for? surely there is a time limit as to when I am expected to pay? (Even though I dispute the amount).

Replies

• edited 21 November 2022 at 2:16PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2022 at 2:16PM
    I did reply on your other thread, but a "notice of intent" is not a legal document, it has no validity in law, so how long it`s valid for is irrelevant.

Legal action to recover a debt can be taken from the point it first becomes due, so for the sake of argument, after say 30 days.

If the ombudsman has found in your favour, why is this still an issue?

Why have they not gone with the recommendation of the ombudsman?
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • mmunro2013mmunro2013 Forumite
    23 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your comments... so; Just FYI I have attached the ombudsman's latest and final response:
    In a situation where a supplier ceases trading, unfortunately there is no action we can take for it to implement
    remedies that formed part of a complaint. This is because the company no longer exists and the supplier of last resort
    process (the supply transferring to an alternative supplier as appointed by Ofgem) does not require the new supplier
    to take responsibility for complaints regarding the failed supplier. 

The supplier of last resort process does, however, require the new appointed supplier to honor credit balances
    from the failed supplier as well as ensuring back billing guidelines are met. This does mean that the new supplier
    will be responsible for ensuring there was no back billing (previously unsought charges being sought that were more
    than 12 months old) with the failed supplier and rectifying this. 

British Gas was the appointed Supplier of Last Resort for Together Energy, so this is something that British Gas
    can look into.

I did raise this with BG however I can't find any reference (still looking). I do realize you need to give a supplier 
    8 weeks to respond... I raised this with BG well over 8 weeks ago. Will try and find complaint reference.
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Forumite
    So, this is now the responsibility of BG to sort out.

Just be aware that everything will be in flux with peoples accounts just now, it may take them a lot longer to look into this due to the switchover.

Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    23 Posts
    Forumite
    Ok, thanks for reponse. I have not responded to the TE Notice of Intent. I will now raise a complaint against BG as I raised this whole issue with them a lot more than 8 weeks ago. I have a complint number from BG so wil use this in correspondance with the Obudsman
  • edited 23 November 2022 at 10:17AM
    EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 23 November 2022 at 10:17AM
    Ok, thanks for reponse. I have not responded to the TE Notice of Intent. I will now raise a complaint against BG as I raised this whole issue with them a lot more than 8 weeks ago. I have a complint number from BG so wil use this in correspondance with the Obudsman
    Did you raise it as a formal complaint more than 8 weeks ago? If so you can take it straight back to the Ombudsman, if that helps? 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2022 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £112.67/£330 (Membership taken 24/1/22)🏋🏻♀️ 2022/23 Gym cost per use: at 20/01/23 £6.60 per visit! (50) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her
    23 Posts
    Forumite
    Sorry for late reply... however, yes I have now raised as a complaint against BG as it is in excess of 8 weeks since I raised the issue with BG. The case with the ombudsman is now WIP
    23 Posts
    Forumite
    An update: the ombudsman has raised a case with BG. BG are questioning that with the ombudsman... nothing for me to see or do just yet