List of tax-free savings or investments

edited 18 November 2022 at 8:10AM in Savings & investments
11 replies 496 views
hallmarkhallmark Forumite
1.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 18 November 2022 at 8:10AM in Savings & investments
IMO since the Autumn statement it's more important than ever to exploit savings or investments that are sheltered from tax.  That being the case I thought it might be worth compiling a quick list people might want to look into:

NSANDI savings (for example Premium Bonds)

ISAs (cash or shares or other)

Pensions (DB or DC)

Friendly Societies (is there a less fashionable or less well-known asset class out there?  But they offer tax-exempt products)

Spread Betting (despite the name actually could be classed as an investment platform, or at the very least a trading platform)

VCTs / EISs / SEISs

Any others?

Replies

• ChilliBobChilliBob Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JISA springs to mind, and I suppose Junior sipp, but that's pretty niche
  • edited 18 November 2022 at 9:46AM
    grahamgoograhamgoo Forumite
    404 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2022 at 9:46AM
    For clarity, the only nsandi products that are tax free are Premium Bonds and ISAs
  • hallmarkhallmark Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    grahamgoo said:
    For clarity, the only nsandi products that are tax free are Premium Bonds and ISAs
    There have been others (for example ISLCs) which are still tax-free for those who hold them.  But yes, currently nothing else open to new investors.  I guess it's possible it could change.
  • hallmarkhallmark Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    jimjames said:
    hallmark said:

Friendly Societies (is there a less fashionable or less well-known asset class out there?  But they offer tax-exempt products)

It's worth pointing out that chasing something being tax free isn't a great option if the investment in question is very poor with very high charges. Paying tax on a good return might be better overall.
    Totally agree hence the advice these might be worth looking into (as opposed to these are worth investing in).

I've never actually crunched the numbers on Friendly Societies or studied them in much details.  I know they were considered very poor investments but not sure if that's changed.  The mere fact the're unloved and unfashionable makes me curious.
  • MX5huggyMX5huggy Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Gold Sovereigns (and other UK legal tender) are tax free. 
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Friendly society plans are tax free and meet your criteria but they typically have reduction in yields of in excess of 2% p.a.   That means any tax advantage is wiped out and more.   

The mere fact the're unloved and unfashionable makes me curious.
    They work very similar to an endowment policy except have no taxation.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 18 November 2022 at 10:25AM
    hallmarkhallmark Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2022 at 10:25AM
    dunstonh said:
    Friendly society plans are tax free and meet your criteria but they typically have reduction in yields of in excess of 2% p.a.   That means any tax advantage is wiped out and more.   

Is there any demographic or circumstances when you think they might be a good investment?  Or are they more like just a relic of an age when fees were generally high and product choice was more limited.
  • OcelotOcelot Forumite
    309 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dunstonh said:

I opened a with-profits bond with Friendly Society Liverpool Victoria in 2001, not sure 've ever paid tax on it. Are they all tax free?
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is there any demographic or circumstances when you think they might be a good investment?
    No.  They have been obsolete for over 20 years.   We were issued a compliance warning around that time, saying that advisers could be on the hook for misales if they were to recommend them.

Or are they more like just a relic of an age when fees were generally high and product choice was more limited.
    Exactly that.  

I opened a with-profits bond with Friendly Society Liverpool Victoria in 2001, not sure 've ever paid tax on it. Are they all tax free?
    No. The Friendly societies also offered regular and single premium endowments.   These were taxed internally.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.