Birmingham Midshires - what a carry on

Anyone else having trouble withdrawing money from BM without having to get on the phone to someone?

As they're coming to an end now I've just tried to withdraw cash from various ones and got an error message saying I have no linked account yet when I click on linked account a valid one is listed.

I've been able to close 2 accounts but then others just error out. All reminds me of the post office savings. Wonder if the same people are behind it. BM is ever so slightly better. Only just though it seems.

Replies

• edited 17 November 2022 at 8:53PM
    adindasadindas Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 November 2022 at 8:53PM
    Anyone else having trouble withdrawing money from BM without having to get on the phone to someone?

As they're coming to an end now I've just tried to withdraw cash from various ones and got an error message saying I have no linked account yet when I click on linked account a valid one is listed.

I've been able to close 2 accounts but then others just error out. All reminds me of the post office savings. Wonder if the same people are behind it. BM is ever so slightly better. Only just though it seems.

Do not waster your time, just let them do the hard work for you.. When they close your accounts they will transfer all of balance to your nominated account.

• edited 17 November 2022 at 10:52PM
    VortigernVortigern Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 November 2022 at 10:52PM
    The linked account seems to become unlinked if the direct debits are cancelled before the account is closed. 
    I had to re-link an external account before I could close the BM account. When I re-linked my current account, BM created a new DD. 
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They will send a cheque if they can't send to the bank when they come to close it. 
  • BeachNutBeachNut Forumite
    102 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can take the balance to zero by making a withdrawal to leave £1 on the account, then immediately make another withdrawal for the remaining £1.
  • B0bbyEwingB0bbyEwing Forumite
    729 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Superb. Vortigern sheds light on the situation and Swipe then answers my question from Vortigern post before I even ask it. Top drawer. 

BeachNut said:
    You can take the balance to zero by making a withdrawal to leave £1 on the account, then immediately make another withdrawal for the remaining £1.
    No you (I) can't.