Has Octopus got my bill wrong?

Options
Coldste
Coldste Posts: 15 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
OK so I’m posting this on behalf of me mum as her bill has suddenly sky rocked. I’ll try and explain the best I can here are her bills (see photos). I’ve blanked out the sensitive info so it’s just the key information required. All info is posted with permission.

Here are her bills that were low,

September 12th-September 30th her bill was £344.98
October 1st-October 9th her bill was £205.26

now here is were it gets interesting as her bill is this.

October 10th-November 9th it is now £870.94 this is more than the gas bill. We’ve not used any more electricity than we normally do, could this be a mistake on Octopus’s side?  

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 November 2022 at 6:53PM
    Options
    At first glance - it appears that two of the bills are credits - and one (the highest) is a debit. Your readings look all over the place - did you enter them yourself through the app?

It states - Customer reading:

12th September - 2000.00
    10th October - 229.0
    10th November - 2609.0

So it looks like your October customer reading (the one you/mum entered) was inputted incorrectly and your November reading brought you back to where you should be. 

It may be that your incorrect reading led the system to give a false estimated reading on the 1st of October.

So I'd say the problem was with who put the figures in.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    So in order her readings go:

The £344 and 205 you mention are negative so refunds rather than money “due” to octopus.  

Looks like some sort of errors entering the readings?I am surprised they accepted them.

Can you post a photo of her meter now with the current reading? Does it just show the reading or have any other data if you scroll through any screens?

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Coldste said:
    OK so I’m posting this on behalf of me mum as her bill has suddenly sky rocked. I’ll try and explain the best I can here are her bills (see photos). I’ve blanked out the sensitive info so it’s just the key information required. All info is posted with permission.

Here are her bills that were low,

September 12th-September 30th her bill was £344.98
    October 1st-October 9th her bill was £205.26

now here is were it gets interesting as her bill is this.

October 10th-November 9th it is now £870.94 this is more than the gas bill. We’ve not used any more electricity than we normally do, could this be a mistake on Octopus’s side?  

How much money have they taken from your bank account compared to what's on these bills? (Are they on direct debit?)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Any chance of a photo of the meter ?

This looks either a wring reading or finger trouble.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    At first glance - it appears that two of the bills are credits - and one (the highest) is a debit. Your readings look all over the place - did you enter them yourself through the app?

It states - Customer reading:

12th September - 2000.00
    10th October - 229.0
    10th November - 2609.0

So it looks like your October customer reading (the one you/mum entered) was inputted incorrectly and your November reading brought you back to where you should be. 

It may be that your incorrect reading led the system to give a false estimated reading on the 1st of October.

So I'd say the problem was with who put the figures in.

Exactly - 10th october was more likely some number between 2000 and 2609 - could have been 2429 or 2329 or 2290. 
    The good news is it actually seems to have sorted itself out - the September and October bills are *not* £344.98 and £205.26 - they are refunds = minus £344.98 and minus £205.26. 
    So for September to November, two month's use she has been charged a total of £870.94 - 334.98 -205.26 = £330.70.    

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless the meter was changed very recently, or it's gone round the clock, it can't be 229 on 10/10/22? Should be a 4 digit reading, 0229. More likely a misread, should be 229X?
    Posting a photo will resolve this.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Robin9 said:
    Any chance of a photo of the meter ?

This looks either a wring reading or finger trouble.
    See what you did there😉

I’d hazard a guess at user input of meter reading error. Easily done😊
  • Significant customer meter misreadings should be rejected by the independent validation process, and another reading requested 

Condition 21B. Billing based on meter readings

21B.1 If a Customer provides a meter reading to the licensee that the licensee considers reasonably accurate, or if the Electricity Meter is read by the licensee, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to reflect the meter reading in the next Bill or statement of account sent to the Customer.

21B.2 If the licensee considers that a meter reading provided by a Customer is not reasonably accurate, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to contact the Customer to obtain a new meter reading from him.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback