fake? bailiff slip come through the door

Got home from work today to find a slip of paper in an unaddressed envelope. No addressee named either. Top left HM Courts & Tribunals Service. Top right address and phone number for Preston Combined Court. Message reads "PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS MESSAGE. Please can you contact me as a matter of urgency on (mobile number) Many Thanks, With Compliments Mr (name) County Court Bailiff. 
I have looked up the name on the Certified bailiff register and it does not show up.
I am just wondering if this a scam, as I cannot imagine it is anything to do with my current debts.
There is no CCJ on my credit report, and I have had no letters before action or anything. I did have a private parking fine that I appealed against but was rejected, but I have not had any post after the rejection. I have three credit cards that I stopped paying in June...waiting for defaults before starting self managed DMP. So far 2 have defaulted within the last month. Planning to start DMP in new year. No letters regarding any court action, and I am up to date with council tax and utilities.
So I am not quite sure what is going on or whether to ring the number. I might contact the court directly. any thoughts?

Replies

• fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Well Preston Court is 
    01772 844 700

Give them a ring.

It's probably genuine

Let us know
  • clarice_2clarice_2 Forumite
    19 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Update: contacted the court and it was genuine. 
    Spoke to the bailiff. It was for my partner, for a CCJ that had been put aside (due to the debt being included in a debt relief order before the CCJ). Bailiff has updated his records and will be taking no further action.

if anyone reads this, don't ignore post after getting a debt relief order! in this case the creditor was not aware and went down the CCJ route. Always check the contents of letters especially ones in brown envelopes!