We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Energy Bill

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Warren_D said:
    ariarnia said:
    Warren_D said:
    I believe I am having the same problem still - because the EDF statement is treating the Gov. Energy Scheme payment as a “refund” - the computer is seeing this as an underpayment and is requesting an increased monthly payment from me.
    uf you are struggling to see it then look on page 2 in the detail before vat is applied. they add the money from the gov. then you pay your dd and they refund you from your dd. so 2 in and 1 out. 
    Ariarnia,
    Thanks for your response. It prompted a more detailed look at the statement ( page 4 in my case).
    Looking carefully, I see that the “total charges for this period” does not equal the “subtotal” of charges - the “charges” for energy used has been reduced by the £66 !?! ( Although VAT has been charged before the reduction).
    How confusing !
    That is how it should be. The EBSS credit is cash. All energy bills are based on a start credit/debit balance PLUS any added payments LESS charges for energy used including VAT. This gives you a new credit/debit balance.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Warren_D said:
    ariarnia said:
    Warren_D said:
    I believe I am having the same problem still - because the EDF statement is treating the Gov. Energy Scheme payment as a “refund” - the computer is seeing this as an underpayment and is requesting an increased monthly payment from me.
    uf you are struggling to see it then look on page 2 in the detail before vat is applied. they add the money from the gov. then you pay your dd and they refund you from your dd. so 2 in and 1 out. 
    Ariarnia,
    Thanks for your response. It prompted a more detailed look at the statement ( page 4 in my case).
    Looking carefully, I see that the “total charges for this period” does not equal the “subtotal” of charges - the “charges” for energy used has been reduced by the £66 !?! ( Although VAT has been charged before the reduction).
    How confusing !
    yes that's how there doing it for edf. and the vat should be taken before the reduction. its a discount on your final bill so vat is due on the full amount before the discount. its just the layout for some people puts the vat after the discount but the number checks out right. 

the reason the format is confusing is because they need to use there existing billing software and it wasnt designed for this. the 400 probably wont be repeated so theres no point paying money to redesign a layout that works before and will work after march. but in the mean time once you know thats where your looking ofr your supplier it's easy to check your getting it right :) 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • marty22
    Options
    Thank you for this thread. I had exactly the same confusion in that the summary on the first page of my bill appears to list the refund as a debit without listing it as a credit in the summary whereas it has been added as a credit in the longer summary with no reference to that being done. Your answers helped me see where to look but I imagine EDF will have a lot of questions from customers. I understand they don’t want to change the calculating software but maybe they could add a short sentence of explanation….
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure