Energy Bill

Options
My energy supplier is EDF. Received £66 straight in to my bank account.
Also received a bill from EDF where they have applied the £66 as a debit to my bill. Surely one cancels out the other?
I am missing something? Impossible to get through to EDF and not sure where else I can ask.
Many Thanks 

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Your online account should show

£66 Credit
    £66 Refund

This refund is then credited to your bank win 4/5 wrking days
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Electricity Account:
    £66CREDIT IN
    £66DEBITOUT

The £66 Debit out then goes into your bank account.

You are £66 better off.

Thats what you are missing.
  • sandrallen
    Options
    Worked it out now, was having such a blank.

Thank you
  • Warren_D
    Options
    I believe I am having the same problem still - because the EDF statement is treating the Gov. Energy Scheme payment as a “refund” - the computer is seeing this as an underpayment and is requesting an increased monthly payment from me.
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Warren_D said:
    I believe I am having the same problem still - because the EDF statement is treating the Gov. Energy Scheme payment as a “refund” - the computer is seeing this as an underpayment and is requesting an increased monthly payment from me.
    Your monthly payments need to be equivalent to roughly one twelfth of your annual usage, the government £66 does not factor into that.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Warren_D said:
    It’s not seeing it as an underpayment. You pay your full monthly payment, eg £100, EDF credit £66 for EBSS, giving total credit of £166. They then give you a refund of £66 meaning you have paid £100 & had £66 back in your bank account. If your direct debit has increased it means that they don’t think what you’re currently paying will cover your usage until your next review 
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Warren_D said:
    uf you are struggling to see it then look on page 2 in the detail before vat is applied. they add the money from the gov. then you pay your dd and they refund you from your dd. so 2 in and 1 out. 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Warren_D
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. But I still can’t make sense of this bill.
    There is no mention of a “credit” anywhere on the statement.
    My “paid in” amount has been reduced by the “refund” of £66 so my “paid in” amount is underpaid and has now created a debit. I can see from the same statement that my total (actual) payment less the charges for energy would give me a credit ( if it wasn’t for this mythical “refund”).
    I continue to try to contact EDF - with no luck so far,
  • Warren_D
    Options
    Warren_D said:
    Your monthly payments need to be equivalent to roughly one twelfth of your annual usage, the government £66 does not factor into that.
    I totally agree with you, Matt…. , the £66 should not appear on my statement at all !
    I think the energy supplier’s computer has not been set up properly to handle this issue.
    But I still need to deal with the effects.
  • Warren_D
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    Warren_D said:
    uf you are struggling to see it then look on page 2 in the detail before vat is applied. they add the money from the gov. then you pay your dd and they refund you from your dd. so 2 in and 1 out. 
    Ariarnia,
    Thanks for your response. It prompted a more detailed look at the statement ( page 4 in my case).
    Looking carefully, I see that the “total charges for this period” does not equal the “subtotal” of charges - the “charges” for energy used has been reduced by the £66 !?! ( Although VAT has been charged before the reduction).
    How confusing !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure