Tax on savings

Hello everyone and sorry if this has been covered before.I’m retired and pay tax on one of my pensions.I may have exceeded the £1000 tax free interest on savings,so will probably move some savings to an ISA.My question is ,and the bit I don’t understand is do the institutions I save with automatically report the interest to HRMC who then tax me so that I don’t take any action ?

Replies

• Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What about the savings starter rate?

How much of your pension income is a fully taxed (above the Personal Allowance)?
  • kingsshillingkingsshilling Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
     Can you explain what the savings starter rate is .? 
    4 Posts
    First Post
    My combined pensions exceed £17570
  • edited 2 November 2022 at 11:08AM
    Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    9K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2022 at 11:08AM
    You have a £5,000 rate band where interest is taxed at 0%.

This gets reduced pound for pound by any non savings non dividend income above your Personal Allowance.  So if your pension income is say £20,000 you don't get any savings starter rate band.

But if it's £15,000 then you are only paying tax on £2,430 of the pension income and have £2,570 savings starter rate band (0%) to use before the savings nil rate band (aka Personal Savings Allowance) comes into play.

But to answer your original question unless your interest exceeds £10,000 it's all dealt with automatically by HMRC.  The savings institutions report the interest after the end of each tax year and then HMRC send tax calculations and updated tax codes as necessary.
    4 Posts
    First Post
    Thanks for that ,so I really need to work out my individual savings starter band
  • refluxerrefluxer Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If your combined pensions are more than £17,570, then the £5000 starter savings rate does not apply to you but you do get the Personal Savings Allowance of £1000 if you're a basic rate tax payer or £500 if you're a higher rate tax payer.

There's more info here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/tax-free-savings/
  • QyburnQyburn Forumite
    521 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ...My question is ,and the bit I don’t understand is do the institutions I save with automatically report the interest to HRMC who then tax me so that I don’t take any action ?
    From my experience (well the missus actually) what HMRC did was reduce tax code for the next year in the expectation of taxable interest continuing. They didn't chase her for underpaid tax, and the tax code correction could be challenged, or all sorted out by doing a tax return.

• poppystarpoppystar Forumite
    781 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Qyburn said:
    ...My question is ,and the bit I don’t understand is do the institutions I save with automatically report the interest to HRMC who then tax me so that I don’t take any action ?
    From my experience (well the missus actually) what HMRC did was reduce tax code for the next year in the expectation of taxable interest continuing. They didn't chase her for underpaid tax, and the tax code correction could be challenged, or all sorted out by doing a tax return.

So does that mean the tax code is set for what they expect in the coming year and not on that plus what wasn’t paid the previous year? I must admit to getting a bit worried that in the first year they adjust the tax code it might be double what a single years would be to recoup the tax not paid in the previous year.

Also did they send a notification detailing how the tax code had been calculated?

As someone who has never filled on a tax return and has only ever got the standard allowance and tax code and so has never had a communication from HMRC it’s all rather an unknown thing in terms of how it works. I found the gov.uk site clear on the detail of what tax should be due but not on the mechanism. 
  • diystarter7diystarter7 Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Dear OP, ring the tax office and they often answer the phone quickly atm. The online self-assessment line just say you are completing that and want clarity on your situation and take their name and area they operate from or reference number if that is possible.

Before you spend, remember the 
    MSE Money Mantras. Ask yourself, do I need it? Can I afford it? If the answer is NO to any of those questions, DON’T buy it.  (Quote from MSE  15/11/22)

Politeness & courtesy are some of the few things in life that are free. Please remember that when posting, I may ignore permanently the unpolite, tedious, unconstructive and deliberately obtuse comments. Many thanks.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    9K Posts
    Forumite
    poppystar said:
    Qyburn said:

So does that mean the tax code is set for what they expect in the coming year and not on that plus what wasn’t paid the previous year? I must admit to getting a bit worried that in the first year they adjust the tax code it might be double what a single years would be to recoup the tax not paid in the previous year.

Also did they send a notification detailing how the tax code had been calculated?

As someone who has never filled on a tax return and has only ever got the standard allowance and tax code and so has never had a communication from HMRC it’s all rather an unknown thing in terms of how it works. I found the gov.uk site clear on the detail of what tax should be due but not on the mechanism. 
    The basic process is this,

Year 1 - interest earned

Year 2 - the bank reports the interest to HMRC.

Year 2 - HMRC calculate any tax due  for year 1 and issues a calculation detailing any tax owed (ignoring tiny amounts).  The tax owed for year 1 either has to be paid by 31 January during year 2 or will be collected via a reduced tax code for year 3.

Year 2 - the year 2 tax code is reviewed using the year 1 interest amount as the estimate for year 2

Year 3 - tax code issued to include any tax owed from year 1 and uses the year 1 interest as the estimate for year 3

Year 3 - the bank reports the interest received in year 2 and so on.....