Booked a holiday that allows pets; owner changed their mind

in Consumer rights
21 replies 1.3K views
tash96tash96 Forumite
2 Posts
First Post First Anniversary
We booked a holiday over Christmas at a place that allowed pets - the advertisement reads "one well-behaved pet welcome". Since booking the holiday, we have adopted a cat. I emailed the owner of the holiday accomodation immediately to inform them of this and to ask if it was possible to update the booking.

The owner has now replied advising that they "are not able to accept a booking with a cat".

Given that the advertisement said pets welcome, I feel somewhat cheated and am wondering where I stand r.e. getting my deposit back. Any help/advice appreciated.

Replies

• edited 1 November 2022 at 9:04PM
    EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 November 2022 at 9:04PM
    Have you asked the owner to cancel your booking and refund?

I'd do that first, you only need to think about 'your rights' if they refuse.
  • EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    *are you actually seeking compo? Because that's a lost cause.
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think that if you book and don't mention a pet (or if pets are charged extra and you didn't pay the extra charge), then adding as pet is a change to the booking, and the owner can decide if they wish to accept the change. Even if the advert said a pet was welcome, when you tried to book, the owner would still have been within their rights to refuse to accept the booking. So I don't think you can demand your deposit back.   

I would recommend that you reply back and explain that you were hoping that you would be able to bring your new cat, and did not realise that it would be such a big issue as you know the cat is well behaved and the advert set an expectation that it would be ok. I would suggest that you ask if the owner is prepared to cancel your book and refund your deposit, or half of it as you accept that they have been inconvenienced.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    k3lvc said:
    Is the issue about 'pet' or 'cat' 

I've obviously led a sheltered life as I've never heard of anyone taking their cat on holiday (and as a cat owner of 30+ years I've never considered it)
    Yup, sheltered life.  My friend always takes her cat, it has a special carrier for long walks .  Me, I always put mine into cattery, could not cope with having to keep her indoors or under constant watch.
  • k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    comeandgo said:
    k3lvc said:

I've obviously led a sheltered life as I've never heard of anyone taking their cat on holiday (and as a cat owner of 30+ years I've never considered it)
    Yup, sheltered life.  My friend always takes her cat, it has a special carrier for long walks .  Me, I always put mine into cattery, could not cope with having to keep her indoors or under constant watch.
    I'm with you - cattery as a last resort but normally neighbours - I've never considered taking him with me
  • user1977user1977 Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    k3lvc said:

So what would you interpret "pet" as meaning? If they just meant "dog" they've had said so, surely?
  • tash96tash96 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll respond to the owner explaining that their advertisement led me to believe that our pet would be welcome - understandably at an extra charge - but if this is not the case, then we'd like to cancel (hopefully with a refund on the deposit also). Hoping it doesn't go down the 'rights' path but just wanted to know where we stood irt the deposit.

k3lvc said:

user1977 said:
    So what would you interpret "pet" as meaning? If they just meant "dog" they've had said so, surely?

We had interpreted "pet" to mean just that, and also thought that if they only accepted dogs then they would've clarified this. Lots of owners seek other means for their cats while they're away but we're not going very far (UK staycation) and we don't have any family to look after her unfortunately.
  • k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    user1977 said:
    k3lvc said:

Being honest I tend to interpret as 'dog' - I've never seen any other 'pet' in a hotel/holiday park even though they're said 'pets allowed'

But then based on this thread every day is a school day - maybe time for a new thread on 'what pet have you ever taken on holiday with you ?'
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    16K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I knew a couple who took their cat with them on their caravan holidays, along with their dog.

The cat  roamed the area surrounding the site and went on walks with them.

We enjoyed  an evening barbecue with them and  the cat  and dog , along with four   other dogs, a collie, a rottweiler and two golden retrievers.

No animals were harmed.