We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Claiming back Tax on EV Milage

Options
Hi All 

I recently moved my vehicle over to an EV. Previously I claimed 25p per mile on my diesel vehicle from my company and then claim the rest back up to the 45p from HMRC. 
Ice recently gotten an EV vehicle and do not claim mileage from my employer as I get free on site charging. 

What can I claim from HMRC for my milage?

Comments

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely the mileage you previously claimed was towards the fuel costs. If you’re now driving an EV not sure you’ll have a valid claim? What do HMRC rules say?
  • mike_hogan86
    Options
    Yes the 25p does cover fuel costs, but its around the technicality's of using own vehicle for business or company use where you can claim back up to the recommended 45pm from HMRC if your business do not cover up to that amount. Its only for field based travel or travel outside of home sites etc.

HMRC dont class electricity as a fuel type currently. The 45p covers depreciation of an non company asset not just fuel costs.

Thats why im a little unsure as the whole Electricity not being classed a benefit under HMRC guidance 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    For employees using their own vehicle there is no distinction by fuel type and so EVs can in theory still claim the mileage 

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-business-travel-mileage/rules-for-tax

If they were using a company car then Electric has its own 5p rate
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Surely the mileage you previously claimed was towards the fuel costs. 
    Mileage allowances cover running costs, which consist of a lot more than just the fuel.  
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,802 Forumite
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Surely the mileage you previously claimed was towards the fuel costs. If you’re now driving an EV not sure you’ll have a valid claim? What do HMRC rules say?

It's for the running costs (albeit mostly fuel), so wear and tear, maintenance, insurance, etc.
    It should be lower for an EV but not zero.
  • mike_hogan86
    Options
    For employees using their own vehicle there is no distinction by fuel type and so EVs can in theory still claim the mileage 

If they were using a company car then Electric has its own 5p rate
    Hay yes correct for business owned cars it still seems to fall under the 45p rate. Do you think the fact that I get the free charge would effect the claim? as there doesn't seem to be any information with HMRC on it 
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,319 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All 

I recently moved my vehicle over to an EV. Previously I claimed 25p per mile on my diesel vehicle from my company and then claim the rest back up to the 45p from HMRC. 
    Ice recently gotten an EV vehicle and do not claim mileage from my employer as I get free on site charging

OP, are you allowed to use the "free" energy for personal use?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    Hi All 

Ice recently gotten an EV vehicle and do not claim mileage from my employer as I get free on site charging

OP, are you allowed to use the "free" energy for personal use?
    https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-electric-company-cars/y/no-the-employee-owns-it/you-the-employer/you-have-a-chargepoint-at-or-near-your-company-s-workplace

No BIK yet for free charging provided by your employer

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The rules for using a private EV for business mileage and claiming mileage expenses are the same as for any other car, i.e. 45 pence per mile for first 10k miles and 25 pence per mile thereafter.

There is no fuel benefit for free workplace charging (unless fuel provided for ICE car) because the Government say "electricity is not a fuel".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback