USA Mid Terms 8th Nov

edited 30 October 2022 at 6:32PM in Savings & investments
12 replies 482 views
GSPGSP Forumite
777 Posts
Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 30 October 2022 at 6:32PM in Savings & investments
Definitely no expert, but wonder what effect these may have on markets?

The democrats with their green anti fossil fuel agenda may be restricting growth and the economy over there.

Suggestions are the republican’s may do quite well taking at least 50 seats in the senate.

Would this be good if America with a Trump like agenda would be unshackled and produce more oil, create more jobs again etc.

Or if the republican’s do well, will this paralyse the decision making?

I wonder how the markets will react?

Replies

• gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GSP said:

If the republicans take control of both Houses, it means that much will become stuck - neither the democrats or republicans will get what they want.

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    24.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    GSP said:
    North American Mid Terms 8th Nov
    To be pedantic, it's just one North American country holding mid-term elections next month, rather than the entire continent....
  • MillyonareMillyonare Forumite
    394 Posts
    100 Posts
    Forumite
    Hexane said:
    GSP said:
    The democrats with their green anti fossil fuel agenda may be restricting growth and the economy over there.
    Equally, the Republicans with their Big Oil agenda might damage the growth of the sustainable technology economic sector, and also hasten and exacerbate the massive negative economic consequences of climate catastrophe.

Folks have been howling about a "climate catastrophe" for the past 7 decades, and it never happens. We just get a bit more sun and a slightly better suntan.
    394 Posts
    100 Posts
    Forumite
    GSP said:

Suggestions are the republican’s may do quite well taking at least 50 seats in the senate.

Would this be good if America with a Trump like agenda would be unshackled and produce more oil, create more jobs again etc.

Think the US midterms ship has already sailed. The Dow has leapt +14% in the past month, for example, based on "generous" Q3 GDP numbers released just weeks before voting. Republicans look set to win, tho, according to some latest polls.

Dyor, etc.
  • GSPGSP Forumite
    777 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have my own view about climate, which I won’t bring on here.

The essence of this thread, I was hoping for anyway was about the effect of the Republican’s taking more than 50% of votes or seats, if that happens.

I wondered what impact that may have on markets as perhaps in the next two years, nothing would get done as it wouldn’t get through the two sides are polar opposites.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hexane said:
    GSP said:
    Equally, the Republicans with their Big Oil agenda might damage the growth of the sustainable technology economic sector, and also hasten and exacerbate the massive negative economic consequences of climate catastrophe.

Folks have been howling about a "climate catastrophe" for the past 7 decades, and it never happens. We just get a bit more sun and a slightly better suntan.
    The effects of climate change are already visible e.g. record floods, infrastructure failing etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    GSP said:

GOP are not going to take 50 seats in the senate, they already have 50 and there are only 35 up for election (21 GOP, 14 Dem). Current polling is both parties between 47-53 with a slight edge (52/100) for Dems to control the senate

You're probably thinking of the House where 213 GOP and 222 Dems are up for election, the GOP have an 80% chance of taking / holding 213-247 seats and thus gain control

What will almost certainly happen if the GOP win the House will be the same stupid stunts they pulled under Obama where they just block everything Biden tries to do and probably have a sham impeachment over nothing as revenge for Trump. GOP is not known as Gaslight Obstruct Project for nothing, they will happily ruin the economy if they think it will mean their candidate winning the next election
    394 Posts
    100 Posts
    Forumite
    Hexane said:
    GSP said:

The effects of climate change are already visible e.g. record floods, infrastructure failing etc

The world has been flooding for 4 billion years. It is nothing new. Modern housing is (too) often built on flood plains -- and people kick up a fuss when it floods!

Global deaths by natural disasters have plunged -99% in the past 100 years. Yes, ninety-nine percent. The world is getting (much) safer. There is no climate catastrophe.
    394 Posts
    100 Posts
    Forumite
    GSP said:
    I have my own view about climate, which I won’t bring on here.

The essence of this thread, I was hoping for anyway was about the effect of the Republican’s taking more than 50% of votes or seats, if that happens.

I wondered what impact that may have on markets as perhaps in the next two years, nothing would get done as it wouldn’t get through the two sides are polar opposites.

The Republicans (right now) look set to win the midterms in 2022 and probably the presidency in 2024. Trump today is the clear bookies' no.1 favourite to win in 2024.

The last time the Republicans won the presidency, in the 2010s, it coincided with one of the biggest Wall Street stockmarket increases in history. Wouldnt be a surprise to see the Dow inch up higher over the next 2 years in anticipation of a Republican win, and various likely actions such as tax cuts.

Dyor, etc.