10 years to 40 - aiming for a life full of adventure, animals and financial freedom

edited 14 October 2022 at 2:06PM in Debt free diaries
46 replies 3.1K views
Waywardgirl3Waywardgirl3 Forumite
45 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 14 October 2022 at 2:06PM in Debt free diaries
Finally bit the bullet and starting a thread on here! 

Basically I want to be in a completely different financial position by the time I’m 40. 

I’ve realised if I’m going to reach my goals over the next decade I need to get a grip on my finances and mental health. 

Abit about me - I am 29 and in £12,015.27 worth of debt. 

Just writing that makes me feel sick. No one in my life knows this about me. I really feel that this forum is my only support system. 

My debt has come from chaotic mental health and impulsive overspending. Basically when I’m depressed I spend money - tickets, holidays, meals out with friends you name it and I’ve just buried my head in the sand for years. Whilst my 20s have been fun there is no WAY I will reach any of my goals in the next decade if I don’t get a grip of things and become more disciplined. As my title says I love travel and horse riding ( not cheap hobbies) and I would love in the next ten years to have a horse of my own again. I know this is a huge financial commitment having loaned and owned when I was younger so lots of work to do there. I want to get to a point where I can enjoy these things without it wrecking my finances. 

My debt is all consolidated into one loan with reasonably low interest. I know opinions on consolidation loans are mixed but I’ve realised I CANNOT be trusted with a credit card. Mine are all cut up now. 

My DD payments for my loan are set at £365 a month and I will eventually overpay on these. My main goal at the moment is to build a decent buffer of savings so that I never have to resort to credit cards again should something come up. I also have two bucket list trips coming up next year which I need to completely cash flow. 

My emergency savings are currently at £1050 but I have an upcoming vet visit for kitty 2 and my MOT coming up soon so we will see what happens there! 

Replies

• Waywardgirl3Waywardgirl3 Forumite
    45 Posts
    Forumite
    So action plan so far; 

october is a very work heavy month, I have a check in with my gp next week for a chat and to discuss my current level of antidepressants. 

Might have to let some things slip this month re housework and social life( need to minimise this one anyway)so I can get all my work done but I’m going to try to find the time to get outside for some runs/walks. 

Budget all written. 

October goals for the rest of the month;

14 NSD minimum 
    24 hours overtime 
    post 2 items on depop 
    return shoes I ordered last month! 
    Start running again 
    build hours at work so I can take time in lieu for an event in November 
    no alcohol 
    no takeaways 

45 Posts
    Forumite
    Also have heating on a minimum! 

I realise I may sound silly wanting to eventually have a horse when I am currently earning 30k a year and have nearly half that in debt but a quote that is keeping me going is ‘most people over estimate what they can do in a year but underestimate what they can do in a decade’ - no idea of the source but makes me feel better about my humble beginnings. I WILL get debt free and achieve these bucket list goals some day :smile:
  • Squirrelz92Squirrelz92 Forumite
    662 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hello and welcome to the DFW thread! Congrats on starting your shiny new diary. I shall subscribe and cheer you along.

I am also 29 and in the process of clearing debt. Got my fingers crossed for you in being able to achieve your dream of owning your own horse. I currently have an ex-racehorse on DIY livery so more than happy to offer guidance or help regarding future expenses :) x
    Mortgage Overpayments £0 || Halifax CC1 - £3013.80/£2657 Paid Off 11.8% Tesco CC2 - £1853.13/£0 Paid Off 0% DWP - £766.56/£606.86 Paid Off 20.83% Mum - £1300 Paid Off 0% Emergency Fund: £404/£1000 Aim To Be Debt Free By Dec 2024
    45 Posts
    Forumite
    Hello and welcome to the DFW thread! Congrats on starting your shiny new diary. I shall subscribe and cheer you along.

I am also 29 and in the process of clearing debt. Got my fingers crossed for you in being able to achieve your dream of owning your own horse. I currently have an ex-racehorse on DIY livery so more than happy to offer guidance or help regarding future expenses :) x
    Ahhh Thankyou! I had horses through my teen years when my parents (now elderly and needing my support) funded them and I’m ashamed of how much I took that for granted! Now I have my own mortgage and bills it feels a world away but I LOVE hearing from people making it work whilst paying off debt and working x 
    45 Posts
    Forumite

Do you have a diary I can follow? X
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good luck with your journey.

you'll get lots of support and helpful tips on here.  We all have our own reasons for getting into debt and for wanting to get out of debt and we all support each other on our journeys.

I forward to reading your diary.

• edited 11 October 2022 at 9:29AM
    Waywardgirl3Waywardgirl3 Forumite
    45 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 11 October 2022 at 9:29AM
    Thanks both! 

Today will be a NSD which is good. Going to run on my lunch break and then will work solidly into the evening. 

Had two money wins this morning! 

The first is that an ongoing returns dispute with ASOS has been resolved after 3 months and they have credited my asos account with 200 pounds of store credit. Albeit I would have preferred the cash but this will allow me to order a few things that I wanted to update my winter wardrobe but could not justify within my budget. Winter coat and new blazer already ordered! 

The second is that I was supposed to be visiting friends next weekend but a rescheduled operation has been booked in for me at short notice for next Friday so I’ve had to cancel on them. I’ll be a write off that weekend but it’s a procedure I’ve been waiting forever for so that’s the silver lining. I also had 100 pounds set aside in a Monzo pot for that trip which I have sent straight to my emergency fund so this is now at £1150 :smiley:
    662 Posts
    Forumite

Do you have a diary I can follow? X
    I do so indeed. It's called 'Washing Away My Debts By 2024 :) x
    Mortgage Overpayments £0 || Halifax CC1 - £3013.80/£2657 Paid Off 11.8% Tesco CC2 - £1853.13/£0 Paid Off 0% DWP - £766.56/£606.86 Paid Off 20.83% Mum - £1300 Paid Off 0% Emergency Fund: £404/£1000 Aim To Be Debt Free By Dec 2024
    662 Posts
    Forumite
    Brilliant news regarding the £200 credit for ASOS (like you said, its a shame it's not in cash but at least you will make use of it). 
    Sorry you have to go under the knife, hopefully nothing too serious? At least you have saved another £100 from being spent! x
    45 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks @Squirrelz92 ! It’s ongoing treatment for an auto immune disease I was diagnosed with this year but routine really. Should hopefully mean less pain and fatigue going forward so glad it’s booked in! 

Today I am on study leave for work. Only 3 of these days left to use so I treated myself to a coffee shop coffee and worked from there this morning (budgeted for). I’m home now as feeling quite tired and unwell so going to lie down for an hour and then hopefully crack on with some more studying. 

Only other spends today were planned and from the joint account - flea treatment for the kitties (much cheaper online than at vets!) and some groceries from Tesco