Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

HSBC Bank - Issue With Cheque

This is a weird one and I'm not sure how to resolve it!

I had two cheques to pay in - one from HMRC and one from a relative. I tried to upload them on the HSBC app and it crashed and the cheques never submitted to my account. I therefore took them into branch and paid them in using the machine. A week or two later I received a letter from HSBC saying the cheques were duplicates and couldn't be paid in. Seems like they thought they'd already been paid in via the app, when that hadn't worked.

Visited branch and they were very unhelpful saying "there's nothing we can do" etc and it's a problem with the cheques. Which is ridiculous that they'd both have the same issue and even when explaining the issue with the app they just sais "this hasn't happened before" and that I need to contact the person who issued the cheque.

Now kindly my relative has rewritten their cheque but I can't see HMRC issuing me another one, but I really need that money! Any ideas on how I can resolve this most welcome?!

Replies

• wmb194wmb194 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If it definitely hasn't been paid could you try depositing it to another account at a different bank/BS?

Raise a complaint with HSBC. Perhaps there's a way it can re-present the cheque?
  • TheBankerTheBanker Forumite
    926 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can your relative check their bank statement. I assume if they've given you a new cheque, the original one wasn't paid. But it is worth checking. It would be reasonable to assume the same thing has happened to the HMRC cheque (unless your relative happens to bank with HSBC/First Direct).

HMRC should be able to re-issue their cheque if it's not been paid. Give them a call. 
  • GrizebeckGrizebeck Forumite
    867 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    If it definitely hasn't been paid could you try depositing it to another account at a different bank/BS?

Raise a complaint with HSBC. Perhaps there's a way it can re-present the cheque?
    Yes use another bank
    Lay Rep in the County Court dealing with a variety of civil cases
  • Joe9090Joe9090 Forumite
    193 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It is a pity the OP did not tell us what happened  as I have a similar issue.

I get very few cheques and have never had a problem paying them into the Halifax via their app until a few days ago.

For some unknown reason the cheque was rejected. I have just tried again and it was rejected so it appears the only alternative is to pay it in manually. I hope when when I am able to travel three miles to my nearest bank that the cheque will eventually be accepted! (The cheque is signed with the correct date so I can only assume it is the photo scan or the account the cheque comes from has not got enough funds in it!)
  • Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You could also try paying it in via the Post Office. 
  • Joe9090Joe9090 Forumite
    193 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Neil49 said:
    You could also try paying it in via the Post Office. 
    I didn't know that thanks for the info. I can pay in at my local BS with my debit card as I don't have a pay in slip but your info is handy to know in future.