British gas - direct debit for old account

Options
JReacher1
JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
I've had a weird situation today where I had a direct debit from British Gas going out for £250.  I am not with British Gas (was with them four years ago).  Cancelled the direct debit and contacted British gas and it seems what has happened is that the owners of my previous home (which I sold 2 years ago) were on a supplier that has gone bust and have been automatically moved to British Gas.  British gas have created an account and assigned this account to my bank details from four years ago and charged me.  I've got all my money back but this seems very strange.  Has anyone seen this happen before?

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    That's a really weird one. BG shouldn't even have your bank details on file any more.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We care - and it's very useful for anyone else in the future who might have a similar issue.

Thanks for coming back to update.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JReacher1 said:
    Just to update on this, I know nobody really cares but like to end a story :-)  

What happened was the owner of my old house was with a utility supplier who went bust.  That supplier when they transferred it over to British Gas provided my bank details.  They won't tell me which supplier that is but assume it was one I used to be with (maybe Bulb).  Anyway British Gas gave me £50 compensation which is ok as it hasn't caused me any problems.
    There are a few data protection issues here that I would want to consider before agreeing to £50 compensation. How did the supplier that went bust have your details if you were never a customer? Bulb is still trading so I doubt that it was them. What has happened to those personal details now that this issue has been raised? I would be making a Subject Access Request.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback