Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Pet insurance - do I make a claim?

I'm new to any kind of insurance but I purchased pet insurance for the first time in January and I had to take my cat to the vet today. I have read the policy documents but brain fog has made it difficult for me to fully understand.  :#
So I have a couple of questions:

Is there any minimum amount where it's not worth making a claim? Like when it's below the excess? Or does this depend on the policy?
Do you claim for any/all vet fees including consultations etc.? Or again, does it depend on the policy?

I apologise if these are really stupid/obvious questions, but I'm new to using insurance. Thanks in advance if anyone can help. :)

Replies

• BrieBrie Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well I'd say if there was a vet fee for £40 and the excess was £50 there's no point.  You won't get anything back and it just flags an issue to the insurance company.   As far as I know it's not like with car insurance that you have to report something no matter what.

And obviously no point in claiming/reporting anything that would be excluded.  I think annual vaccines are a major exclusion.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh - and I hope the cat is ok.  Such worrying fluffy beasts!!!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • KipepeoKipepeo Forumite
    396 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    Well I'd say if there was a vet fee for £40 and the excess was £50 there's no point.  You won't get anything back and it just flags an issue to the insurance company.   As far as I know it's not like with car insurance that you have to report something no matter what.

And obviously no point in claiming/reporting anything that would be excluded.  I think annual vaccines are a major exclusion.
    Thanks, that is a big help. :)