Coat of living payment for child tax credits only?

Hello all,

I would appreciate any advice.
We get child tax credits, DLA, ESA contribution based. I know there are £150 payments for the DLA but I am confused about the cost of living payment if you get Child tax credits (we don't get Tax Credits) but I am sure I read that if you get Child tax credits we will get the cost of living payments but maybe on a different date? Anyone any ideas? Thanks all

Replies

• edited 23 September at 3:45PM
    Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 September at 3:45PM
    Yes, between 2 and 7 September 2022 for most people apparently
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment

Edit: completely missed the reference to ESA *facepalm*
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    blackstar said:
    Child tax credits (we don't get Tax Credits)
    They are both the same thing. If any part of your ESA is Income Related then the first CoL payment of £326 should have been paid by the end of July.

If you get both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit, you will receive a Cost of Living Payment for Child Tax Credit only.

If you get tax credits from HMRC and a low income benefit from DWP, you will get a Cost of Living Payment from DWP only.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment#low-income-benefits-and-tax-credits

• LunaCattyLunaCatty Forumite
    37 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We are only in receipt of the Child Tax Credit element (we get DLA too for my son which is what puts us still within CTC boundaries) and received the £326 on 5th September. If you alreadt got a payment though as part of your ESA as mentioned above you won't get a second CoL through Tax Credits only the DWP payment.
  • edited 24 September at 1:52AM
    blackstarblackstar Forumite
    215 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 September at 1:52AM
    I am confused as we have not have a penny yet?

So what shpuld we have received? We get the following:

DLA middle rate care and lower rate mobility for our two children and myself.

ESA contribution based for myself. 

Child tax credits.

My wife works 25 hours per week. 

I know there's the £150 also for the DLA but think that's too soon. But it's the other thing for the child tax credits I am wondering about. Who would we need to contact? 
  • edited 24 September at 2:00AM
    Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 September at 2:00AM
    Okay so you'd be getting the £326 from HMRC because that's your only qualifying benefit for the Low Income CoL payment.
    You can report a missing payment here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment#report-a-missing-cost-of-living-payment-for-a-low-income-benefit-or-tax-credits

The £150 because of the DLA should have been being paid around now, but there's been a delay apparently so you're right that it is too soon.
    15.5K Posts
    Forumite
    blackstar said:
    I am confused as we have not have a penny yet?

So what shpuld we have received? We get the following:

DLA middle rate care and lower rate mobility for our two children and myself.

ESA contribution based for myself. 

Child tax credits.

My wife works 25 hours per week. 

I know there's the £150 also for the DLA but think that's too soon. But it's the other thing for the child tax credits I am wondering about. Who would we need to contact? 

Tax credits

To get the first Cost of Living Payment of £326, you must have been entitled, or later found to be entitled, for any day in the period 26 April 2022 to 25 May 2022 to:

• a payment of tax credits
    • an annual award of at least £26 of tax credits

• AyeReady1985AyeReady1985 Forumite
    35 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have seen it reported that the second cost of living payment is due to be paid by 01 October. Can it be presumed that this is for UC claimants only and not tax credits given that UC claimants received the first COL payment a few months before tax credits. Thanks 
  • Robbie64Robbie64 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have seen it reported that the second cost of living payment is due to be paid by 01 October. Can it be presumed that this is for UC claimants only and not tax credits given that UC claimants received the first COL payment a few months before tax credits. Thanks 

A few people have posted this but it's not correct. The legislation states that the qualifying date for a COL payment must be on or before 31 October and then payments will need to be arranged after the date is announced. To date no qualifying date has been announced. Unless the date is announced in the next couple of weeks it's very unlikely payments will be made by the end of October.
    15.5K Posts
    Forumite
    I have seen it reported that the second cost of living payment is due to be paid by 01 October.
    I seen that in a newspaper. Best thing to do with those sort of reports, is to completely ignore them because they are often wrong.
    The 2nd CoL payment for those that are claiming tax credits will be sometime in the Winter. Those claiming either UC or Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support will be paid sometime this Autumn.