Theft of Personal Information

Options
Hello

I have just realised that all my personal information has been copied from my computer.  This includes copies of my passport, driving license, my signature - copies of my bank statements - even title deeds from my house.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself?  Are there any kind of alerts I can sign up to - I am petrified that the person who stole all my data will have deliberately made sure it gets into the wrong hands.

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Hello

I have just realised that all my personal information has been copied from my computer.  This includes copies of my passport, driving license, my signature - copies of my bank statements - even title deeds from my house.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself?  Are there any kind of alerts I can sign up to - I am petrified that the person who stole all my data will have deliberately made sure it gets into the wrong hands.

First of all, who and how did they access your computer? We talking someone with physical access or was it a hacking attempt?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 September 2022 at 8:36PM
    Options
    how did you just realise ? Are those details stored in the cloud ?

🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • HollyandCo
    Options
    how did you just realise ? Are those details stored in the cloud ?

OK, this is how I realised.  I am being stalked by someone.  I have been posting on here for absolute donkeys years but I know the person who is stalking me knows my original name.

The person stalking me has done some sick stuff and has created a dating profile of me, using my pictures.  Originally I discovered this months back - police involved etc.   Last night I was contacted by a friend who informed me, there is another dating profile of me up.  Except, it isn't me.  Its my stalker again.  So I took a look at the account, one of the pictures he is using has never been public - (how do I know this?) because initially I didn't recognise the picture and its certainly not a picture I would choose for a dating profile.    I then read the body of the 'Info', from this I realised that word for word, it was what I had used several years ago and was still on my laptop.

I originally helped my stalker in his office and I discovered he had accessed my files when I went home.  Despite me loggin out of my microsoft account, he must have made a note of my password.

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Surely this is a police matter?
  • HollyandCo
    Options
    Surely this is a police matter?
    It is.  But despite my stalker being arrested and held in custody for almost 24 hours, his mobile phone and laptop being seized, a civil injunction in place - and the investigation still going on, the stalker has not given up.   I don't think he ever will.

I don't hold out any hope with the police, they are under resourced.   I feel as if I'm on my own and am just trying to look out for myself.

• HollyandCo
    HollyandCo Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 September 2022 at 10:19PM
    Options
    Back to my original question, is there anything I can do - alerts or some sort that I can sign up too?  Should I change my passport - would I even be given a new passport number?
  • SuzeQStan
    SuzeQStan Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry to hear this - you can sign up to Property Alert which as the title suggests alerts you to any fraud attempted on your property.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/property-alert
    Lancashire
    PV 5.04kWp 
    🐙 Go

Mortgage freedom January 2024 - paid off 7 years early by making overpayments where we could.

• HollyandCo
    Options
    SuzeQStan said:
    Sorry to hear this - you can sign up to Property Alert which as the title suggests alerts you to any fraud attempted on your property.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/property-alert
    Thank you.  Appreciated.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There  is protective registration to make any kind of financial fraud a lot harder.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/pr
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • HollyandCo
    Options
    Browntoa said:
    There  is protective registration to make any kind of financial fraud a lot harder.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/pr
    Many thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport