Energy advice

Options
Pingu1
Pingu1 Posts: 96 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I'm on a fixed tarrif with Octopus until July 2023 for my electricity. I'm really worried how much my bill will be. My property is an all electric studio flat in London. Currently I pay £100 a month DD. What I really need is an expert to come round and offer impartial advice on what I can do to reduce my energy bill. Does anyone know of any organisation that offers this kind of service? I've recently suffered a stroke, so my plan of working three jobs to make ends meet won't be possible.

My annual usage is around 4088 Kwh.

Comments

• chris_n
    chris_n Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Some local councils will do this, can't comment on how good their advice is though. 
    Living the dream in the Austrian Alps.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are on a fix until 7/23, then your unit costs will not rise-that's the whole point of a fix. The only way your bills will rise it if you use more units.
    Hopefully, by the time your fix ends, prices will have begun to come down and less expensive fixes will be available.
    It's pointless paying someone to assess your usage in such a small, single fuel property. Probably as much as 80% of your leccy is used for space heating and DHW. Single-rate metered all-electric set ups are the most expensive of all: the only way to reduce the cost would be to switch to E7 metering with NSH's and an immersion heater. if this is not already installed.
    Your usage is already incredibly low, even for a studio, so I'm surprised your DD is set that high. What is the unit rate on your tariff please, and the s/c? I'm wondering if you have historic debt being recovered, or too high a credit balance? 
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    macman said:
    Your usage is already incredibly low, even for a studio, so I'm surprised your DD is set that high.
    Are you sure about that?
    4000kWh at 25p/kWh would be £1000, plus standing charge would get you to about £100/month.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But we don't know what the OP is paying on her current fix. Which is why I asked.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Pingu1
    Pingu1 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My current rate is 0.1882p per unit, and the standing charge is 0.26p per day. I did a two year fix last summer. I probably didn't explain myself properly. Its my bills after July 2023 I'm worried about. It doesn't look as if prices will come down. More like they will keep going up. 

My heating is provided by two 1.5KW oil filled, wall mounted radiators. I think the property loses around 1 degree every 45 mins in winter once the radiators are off. The previous owner had got rid of the storage heater, as apparently it was too expensive. I have an immersion heater for hot water, with a double jacket. Its on for 45mins a day.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Pingu1 said:
    My current rate is 0.1882p per unit, and the standing charge is 0.26p per day. I did a two year fix last summer. I probably didn't explain myself properly. Its my bills after July 2023 I'm worried about. It doesn't look as if prices will come down. More like they will keep going up.
    Yes, current forecasts (which are bound to be wrong, but by how much and in what direction is anyone's guess) are that the capped SVT in July 2023 will be around 65p/kWh and a 45p/day standing charge.
    4088kWh/yr on your current fix works out as £864/yr or £72/month so as macman suggests you seem to be overpaying by about a third.
    4088kWh/yr in July next year could, if the forecasts are correct, cost £2821/yr or £235/month.
    Pingu1 said:
    My heating is provided by two 1.5KW oil filled, wall mounted radiators ... The previous owner had got rid of the storage heater, as apparently it was too expensive. I have an immersion heater for hot water.
    You have one of the most expensive methods of heating. Despite the previous owner's beliefs, using the now-removed storage heater together with the immersion heater on Economy 7 might have saved him and you 10-20% on your electricity bill.
    Fortunately, at 4088kWh/yr you are a low user and so the effect isn't that big.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do you have a loft you can insulate, top up?, Or have a drop ceiling installed.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I’m going to beg to differ about that use being particularly low for a small property on an all-electric setup - but  of course with the originally fitted storage heaters it would have been even lower. There may well be scope for reduction even now, though. It might be worth considering getting at least one storage heater refitted depending on the space you have to heat, but a lot might depend on how well heat is retained, and also whether by “studio” you mean a fully open plan space with just a separate bathroom. If you have a separate bedroom with a closing door for example then a storage heater in the main living area might be the way to go.

Looking at your rates, assuming there was no historic debt then you should be building up a good cushion of credit. (If not then that needs investigation)  Hopefully you have already stashed aside the council tax rebate from earlier in the year against future increases, and as and whether energy rebate hits from the autumn you should ensure that those 6 months worth of savings on your direct debit are also put away into savings ready to offset future higher bills at least a little. 

Beyond that, there is little you can do bar making the property as energy efficient as possible, if you do get a NSH re-fitted then returning to E7 and using as high a proportion of your electricity overnight as possible, and generally trying to reduce usage ahead of the impending storm. At least you still have a year on those (now rather excellent) rates! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills