Gas and electric debt

in Debt-free wannabe
7 replies 631 views
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I'm looking for some advice.

Long story short I moved into a property 6 years ago and the landlord was going to sub let gas and electric to us. Which would've been fine but from what I read they couldnt make any profit on it whatsoever. We asked for the original bills and was refused so didn't pay, this went on for the whole of the tenancy.

After we moved out and we told them again that we wouldn't pay anything with out original bills they have finally produced them and are trying to set up a plan with us. I'm just wondering what if any rights we have in this situation.

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    UK citizens have many legal rights and responsibilities. There are different types of laws protecting the rights of individuals - from civil laws to criminal laws.

In your particular case, you have the right to know how your bill was calculated, and what figures were used in that calculation.

Paying nothing really should not have been an option, as I guess you are now left with quite a substantial bill, and no meter readings to match against the bills they say you owe.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • JimC2099JimC2099 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    Yes they are charging for 6 years and three months worth of gas and electric.

All we have are the original bills that are in our landlords name for that property in pdf format on a usb drive. It's a shame as this could have been rectified so long ago but they just refused to give us any of the original bills
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Well if your happy to pay this, then that`s up to you, otherwise dispute it with the companies concerned.

They all have complaints procedures to follow, and remember, any simple contract debt over 6 years old will be statute barred, do the back billing regulations apply at all ?
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • peteukpeteuk Forumite
    775 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If its in the landlords name then the contract is with them, not you. So I’m not sure how you would set up an agreement with the provider.  

If it was in your name then would the bill not come to you?
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • JimC2099JimC2099 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    So it's all in our landlords name. He was trying to sublet it to us, with a bill he had made him self. That's when we asked for the original bills to check what he was charging us. This was all through his kind of letting agent. No bills were given so we never paid, they said pay we said where are the original bills. As far as I'm aware the bills are fully tonthe utility company
  • peteukpeteuk Forumite
    775 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry I think I am missing something...

Did you rent a property or part of a property? Either way check the tenancy agreement.  Most places are Rent £X including bills or Rent £Y excluding bills. Or has a set amount for bills   My daughter lives in an apartment block and each apartment has its own supply, so she controls the bills.  

So when it comes to sub letting gas/electricity (depending on your agreement) if you rent the property then 100% of the bill is yours, but if you rent a room then its difficult to work out what you have used.  If there's four adults in the property then you could divide the bill by four.  But other than that I am unsure how he can "sub let" as he proposed. 

Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Presumably you were setting aside a sensible monthly amount for these bills though during the time you were in the property? Is the issue here that the actual bills have come up at more than the amount you had set aside? If so then your best bet assuming you are now happy to accept that the bills are reasonable is probably to agree a payment plan with the landlord do pay back the outstanding amount over time. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2023 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £11.87/£280 (Membership taken 01/2/23)🏋🏻♀️ 2023/24 Gym cost per use: at 01/02/23 £280.00 per visit! (1) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her