Really confused about travel insurance and pre-existing conditions

Hi, help please!

I'm trying to get travel insurance for a trip coming up soon.  Others have recommended insureandgo, and the price is good.  However, I have a pre-existing medical conditions from about 10 years ago, where a tendon had to be repaired and am fully recovered.  

Going through the MSE guide for pre-existing conditions, it says that  "If you have a pre-existing medical condition you did not tell the insurer about when you arranged cover, you won't be covered for any medical treatment you need while on holiday that's related to that condition. ALWAYS tell your insurer about any medical conditions". 

Fair enough. 

But when I try and book the insurance, the provider says "
You must answer Yes to this question if anyone to be insured under this policy has: Any disease, illness or injury for which you or anyone else insured on this policy has:
  • Taken any prescribed medication or required medical treatment within the last two years;
  • Consulted a medical practitioner and/or been registered as an in or out patient at a hospital, clinic or GP surgery in the last two years."
The two statement seem to directly contradict each other.  When I try to tell the insurer about the condition, and the date, it won't accept it as it's older than 2 years.  

So do I have to declare pre-existing conditions over 2 years or not?

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,660
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
     Nope no need to declare something older then 2 yrs unless it's ongoing 
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MSE is a general guide and how things typically work. Any company is perfectly entitled to deviate from the norm. Ultimately you should answer the questions asked as if you answer it how MSE says you should and that's wrong you can be damned sure they wont be paying your claim for you for their bad advice!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,372
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I don't see anything contradictory in the statements they are asking for information about events in the past 2 years.  I had knee surgery 20 years ago but don't declare that.  I do declare that I have arthritis and am awaiting surgery, and declare other medication I'm taking for high blood pressure.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    TELLIT01 said:
    I don't see anything contradictory in the statements
    MSE - declare everything ever
    Random Insurer - declare anything in the last 2 years

MSE is clearly being more cautious, OP is trying to follow MSE's guideline but random insurer doesn't want to know about an injury 10 years ago
  • marcia_ said:
     Nope no need to declare something older then 2 yrs unless it's ongoing 
    I believe this is wrong.

I just spoke to Staysure. Anything treated for or taking medications for in the last 2 years, must declare.

BUT also, anything regarding heart, hypertension, etc, AT ANY TIME IN THE PAST, you must declare

All explained on the Staysure website

• Annemos
    Annemos Posts: 713
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes kevinmoir, that is indeed correct. 

The Staysure booklet says this....  on page 14 

Pre-existing medical condition –

• any past or current medical condition that has given rise to symptoms, or for which any form of treatment, or prescribed medication, medical consultation, investigation, or follow-up/check-up, has been required, or received, during the 2 years prior to the commencement of cover under this policy and/or prior to any trip:    and

any cardiovascular or circulatory condition (e.g. heart condition, hypertension, blood clots, raised cholesterol, stroke, aneurysm, brain haemorrhage) that has occurred at any time prior to the commencement of cover under this policy and/or prior to any trip

Note that the second half relates to any circulatory condition, including a LOW blood pressure diagnosis. 

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,660
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Annemos said:
    Yes kevinmoir, that is indeed correct. 

The Staysure booklet says this....  on page 14 

Pre-existing medical condition –

• any past or current medical condition that has given rise to symptoms, or for which any form of treatment, or prescribed medication, medical consultation, investigation, or follow-up/check-up, has been required, or received, during the 2 years prior to the commencement of cover under this policy and/or prior to any trip:    and

any cardiovascular or circulatory condition (e.g. heart condition, hypertension, blood clots, raised cholesterol, stroke, aneurysm, brain haemorrhage) that has occurred at any time prior to the commencement of cover under this policy and/or prior to any trip

Note that the second half relates to any circulatory condition, including a LOW blood pressure diagnosis. 

But the OP refers to a tendon injury not blood pressure 
  • Annemos
    Annemos Posts: 713
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, no need to declare that tendon op with SS. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback