Fence Regulation Clarification

Hi,

I am after clarification for residential fence regulations prior to 2015, ideally for 2013.  Below is the 2015 regulation title.  Can anyone outline the differences between 2015 and 2013 - if there are any, and where i can find the 2013 regulations?

* The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015, Schedule 2, Part 2 Minor operation, Class A - gates, fences, walls etc.

Many thanks.
Ron

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,460
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi,

I am after clarification for residential fence regulations prior to 2015, ideally for 2013.  Below is the 2015 regulation title.  Can anyone outline the differences between 2015 and 2013 - if there are any, and where i can find the 2013 regulations?

* The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015, Schedule 2, Part 2 Minor operation, Class A - gates, fences, walls etc.

Many thanks.
    Ron
    If it is to do with the height then I don't believe there were relevant changes from the 1988 Order -

The Town and Country Planning General Development Order 1988

PART 2 MINOR OPERATIONS
    Class A
    Permitted development
    A.  The erection, construction, maintenance, improvement or alteration of a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure.

- if it is something other than the height then you really need to give a bit more information about what the issue may be before anyone can really comment on the differences.
  • rocketman46
    rocketman46 Posts: 15
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In my local area including my road, lots of properties have fences of a least 2m running next to a road.  And yet the rules say no fences more than 1m.  How can they install these fences and side step the rules?  

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,460
    Forumite
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In my local area including my road, lots of properties have fences of a least 2m running next to a road.  And yet the rules say no fences more than 1m.  How can they install these fences and side step the rules?  

Thanks,
    Ron
    Two possibilities -

1) They applied for and got planning consent.

2) The development wasn't lawful because they didn't have consent (at the time) - but the passage of time may mean there is nothing that can be done about it now.

The General Permitted Development Order means that development which meets the criteria is deemed to have consent without needing to apply for consent from the local authority, unless PD rights have been removed from that property/area.

GPDO doesn't mean that other development cannot be done, it just means going through the application process and getting consent.

Is this a relatively modern development?
  • rocketman46
    rocketman46 Posts: 15
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

Excellent replies.

1) ok

2) how long would the passage of time be ish?  10 years?

I think they are 80's properties and the fences have been there about 10 years.  I would like to have a fence of this size but i was just confirming the rules first.  I guessed they fitted their fences pre 2013 and i thought maybe the rules were different at that time.

Thanks,
    Ron

• DB1904
    DB1904 Posts: 1,240
    Forumite
    Hi,

Excellent replies.

1) ok

2) how long would the passage of time be ish?  10 years?

I think they are 80's properties and the fences have been there about 10 years.  I would like to have a fence of this size but i was just confirming the rules first.  I guessed they fitted their fences pre 2013 and i thought maybe the rules were different at that time.

Thanks,
    Ron

The rules for others aren't relevant, what's in place now is what you should be concerned about.

Looks like you have two options. 

Apply for permission or do or do it and hope you get away with it. 
  • How did you proceed with this? We're in a similar situation
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,224
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    The OP hasn't been active on this site for about 18 months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback