PayPal - can they deduct money from my bank account?

edited 19 May 2022 at 7:02AM in Debt-free wannabe
5 replies 383 views
Mtrott71565Mtrott71565 Forumite
19 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
Forumite
edited 19 May 2022 at 7:02AM in Debt-free wannabe
So long story short I have essentially been scammed and sold an quite expensive item to somebody who is now claiming the transaction was unauthorised. This transaction is not covered by PP buyer protection as he used 'friends and family' option to transfer the money (for those that don't know, which unfortunately I was ignorant to, you have to have met PayPal's seller conditions for a transaction to be covered by PayPal buyer protection in an event such as this) so, If I lose the dispute I will owe them the money. Problem is I cannot afford for them to take this money all at once. I have asked them what will happen in the event that I lose the dispute and they advised rather than just take the money they will contact me and ask how I will pay it but I'm not fully sure this will happen - their customer service is not good. So, as a last resort I looked at my account and realised only debit cards are registered to my wallet. If they are particularly unreasonable and advise they will deduct the money all at once, would it be possible to cancel my cards with my bank so that effectively they cannot take the money? Or, would I need to close the bank account the DC is linked to?

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    No one can take money from your account without permission, that is called theft.

You can cancel or freeze debt cards on your banking app, or, you can remove the card from your PayPal account.

They cannot simply help themselves to other peoples money, owed or not, now can they.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • Mtrott71565Mtrott71565 Forumite
    19 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    No one can take money from your account without permission, that is called theft.

You can cancel or freeze debt cards on your banking app, or, you can remove the card from your PayPal account.

They cannot simply help themselves to other peoples money, owed or not, now can they.
    I didn’t think so, but they don’t let you remove bank accounts W from your balance when you owe them money. Also more than one 
    Person on the other post I made in the consumer board seemed to think they’d just take the money. 
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

I didn’t think so, but they don’t let you remove bank accounts W from your balance when you owe them money. Also more than one 
    Person on the other post I made in the consumer board seemed to think they’d just take the money. 
    That person was wrong, no one can just take money from someone else's bank account without the account holders permission.

If they attempted to do that, they are at risk of all kinds of repercussions, what they may do, is add the debt to any new transactions you make using PayPal, and claw the money back that way, if you want to be 100% rid of them, close the account and open a new one.

They will likely appoint debt collectors to chase you for the outstanding balance though, although there power is limited to letters and calls, PayPal don`t take legal action in the UK, there are many threads on this if you search, so I don`t think you have much to worry about here.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • Dalby84UKDalby84UK Forumite
    19 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    When you sign up with them they ask you verify your account information with a transfer of funds, they also setup a direct debit in order to take funds back, you can cancel it but then they would prob chase you for the debt.
  • poppasmurf_bewdleypoppasmurf_bewdley Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just close your Paypal account and refuse to interact with them.  They will not make a claim against you.  They may write a few times but that will be it. 
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock