PayPal - can they deduct money from my bank account?

Options
Mtrott71565
Mtrott71565 Posts: 19 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 19 May 2022 at 8:02AM in Debt-free wannabe
So long story short I have essentially been scammed and sold an quite expensive item to somebody who is now claiming the transaction was unauthorised. This transaction is not covered by PP buyer protection as he used 'friends and family' option to transfer the money (for those that don't know, which unfortunately I was ignorant to, you have to have met PayPal's seller conditions for a transaction to be covered by PayPal buyer protection in an event such as this) so, If I lose the dispute I will owe them the money. Problem is I cannot afford for them to take this money all at once. I have asked them what will happen in the event that I lose the dispute and they advised rather than just take the money they will contact me and ask how I will pay it but I'm not fully sure this will happen - their customer service is not good. So, as a last resort I looked at my account and realised only debit cards are registered to my wallet. If they are particularly unreasonable and advise they will deduct the money all at once, would it be possible to cancel my cards with my bank so that effectively they cannot take the money? Or, would I need to close the bank account the DC is linked to?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,993 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No one can take money from your account without permission, that is called theft.

You can cancel or freeze debt cards on your banking app, or, you can remove the card from your PayPal account.

They cannot simply help themselves to other peoples money, owed or not, now can they.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Mtrott71565
    Mtrott71565 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No one can take money from your account without permission, that is called theft.

You can cancel or freeze debt cards on your banking app, or, you can remove the card from your PayPal account.

They cannot simply help themselves to other peoples money, owed or not, now can they.
    I didn’t think so, but they don’t let you remove bank accounts W from your balance when you owe them money. Also more than one 
    Person on the other post I made in the consumer board seemed to think they’d just take the money. 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,993 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

I didn’t think so, but they don’t let you remove bank accounts W from your balance when you owe them money. Also more than one 
    Person on the other post I made in the consumer board seemed to think they’d just take the money. 
    That person was wrong, no one can just take money from someone else's bank account without the account holders permission.

If they attempted to do that, they are at risk of all kinds of repercussions, what they may do, is add the debt to any new transactions you make using PayPal, and claw the money back that way, if you want to be 100% rid of them, close the account and open a new one.

They will likely appoint debt collectors to chase you for the outstanding balance though, although there power is limited to letters and calls, PayPal don`t take legal action in the UK, there are many threads on this if you search, so I don`t think you have much to worry about here.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dalby84UK
    Dalby84UK Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    When you sign up with them they ask you verify your account information with a transfer of funds, they also setup a direct debit in order to take funds back, you can cancel it but then they would prob chase you for the debt.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Just close your Paypal account and refuse to interact with them.  They will not make a claim against you.  They may write a few times but that will be it. 
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback