Mother's 20 year empty house has been getting a 2x standing charge due to 2 electricity meters

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Has your Mum been receiving bills for the last 20 years ?   Have you or your mum read the meters ?  If not perhaps its time to do so.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ccluedo said:
    A relative in Scotland with SSE had a THTC tariff which is was two meters with two daily standing charges. 
    I have POA for an elderly friend in Scotland and he has exactly as you describe. Two meters. Two standing charges, that form a single bill. 

• Slumbershade
    Slumbershade Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 May 2022 at 3:14PM
    Robin9 said:
    Is this house in addition to the 3 you inherited.?

I do hope it can be brought back into use quickly.
    It's one of them yes. Thanks should be rented in a few months.
    Acually I havn't even started getting bathroom quotes, ugh.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    old types of heating had seperate meters - no economy 7 but the heating was connected directly to one meter and all other electricity to the other.
    The unit rate for the heating was usually lower and so compensated for the additional standing charge - of course if the property is empty it's not cost efficient - but it's not the suppliers job to do that.
    You should have had an electrician in over the 20 years to make sure it was safe and they would have told you what to do
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 May 2022 at 10:23PM
    But there shouldnt be two standing charges per customer, she was obviously unaware of it, and as was I until now. Two standing charges seems like a mistake that the company should have brought up.
    You are simply making assumptions and accusations with no foundation. Wasting peoples time costs us all money. 
    But there shouldnt be two standing charges per customer, she was obviously unaware of it, and as was I until now. Two standing charges seems like a mistake that the company should have brought up.
    You are simply making assumptions and accusations with no foundation. Wasting peoples time costs us all money. 
    Why would anyone think that one proeprty would have two standing charges!!!
    Anyone who took the trouble to look at a single bill in 20 years? 
    It's perfectly normal for some legacy systems to have 2 meters, which naturally incurs two standing charges. That is not significant in an occupied property where energy is being consumed. 
    You are not going to get any refund, because the supplier has done nothing wrong: a s/c is payable whether you use vast amounts of energy, or none. The supplier has exactly the same overheads either way, in providing and maintaining the supply, meter reading, and billing.

No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As an alternative, my parents ' old house had a 'self contained cottage,' the site had only 1 electric and gas metre each.
    This was partly due to planning permission and also how it was all setup when electricity was installed.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • If part of the property was rented out the services could have been split. I hope you get it all sorted very soon. 
  • Slumbershade, I'm sorry that you've come on the correct part of the forum boards to "vent" and only had people attack you.
    "Praise, Vent & Warnings" is where people come to find others who sympathise with their reason for venting.
  • Might wish you’d kept the second meter now as it seems to have implied you’d have got an extra £400!
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Slumbershade, I'm sorry that you've come on the correct part of the forum boards to "vent" and only had people attack you.
    "Praise, Vent & Warnings" is where people come to find others who sympathise with their reason for venting.
    You might be sorry for the way in which people have replied, but no one's attacked the OP, they've informed him, as he wasn't aware of the fact that a property with two electric meters could incur two sets of standing charges. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback