Mother's 20 year empty house has been getting a 2x standing charge due to 2 electricity meters

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MalMonroe said:
    We all have to pay a standing charge if the supply is still connected. Someone should have told the electricity company that the supply needed to be disconnected before now.

And if the boiler was used (as you said "only electricity used was for the boiler") then somebody will have to pay for the electricity so used as well.

All gas and electric companies issue standing charges (and to be honest, I agree with you - we shouldn't have to pay them) and in that case, I don't really think you are going to get anywhere with the Ombudsman. Sorry.

More to the point though - what's happened about the council tax on a property that's been vacant for twenty years?

Shame it's been vacant for so long, though, your family could probably have rented it out so it earned its own keep, so to speak.
    no Idea what hapopened with council tax in those 20 years, its halted now though.Thrugelmir said:
    But there's been twenty years to get the other supply disconnected......... Who was responsible for that ? 
    its split into two meters for the whole house, and no, why would the customer assume there are two standing charges for one property, I dont think its the customers fault at all.Andy_L said:
    Theres a cost to maintain the infrastructure to deliver gas/electricity to a property which is the same regardless of how much/little is used (see also telephone lines)

You could have no standi g charge but then youd pay more for the power you use
    There is no way anyone can argue that there should be two standing charges for both electricity meters on one house.
    2 meters = 2x meters that need to be supplied & maintained
    2 x connections to the supply in the road
    2x bills to be processed
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    But there shouldnt be two standing charges per customer, she was obviously unaware of it, and as was I until now. Two standing charges seems like a mistake that the company should have brought up.
    Wouldn't she have been aware of it if she'd checked her bills?

Slumbershade said:
    its split into two meters for the whole house, and no, why would the customer assume there are two standing charges for one property, I dont think its the customers fault at all.

There is no way anyone can argue that there should be two standing charges for both electricity meters on one house.
    Why are there 2 meters for the house?
    If I had 2 meters in my house I'd want to know what was connected to each meter and why there was 2 in the first place.
    I wouldn't have assumed that I'd just be paying one standing charge.
  • Slumbershade
    Slumbershade Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 May 2022 at 11:24AM
    If you have two meters then you pay for two supplies.

How on earth has it taken 20 years for you to realise you have been paying two electricity bills ?

It would have been obvious if anyone had been checking the bills.

It wasnt me paying the bill or having anything to do wityh the house until recently. And that's still bs, why the hell even with 2 bills would I assume there would be two standing charges thats seriously illogical.
  • Slumbershade
    But there shouldnt be two standing charges per customer, she was obviously unaware of it, and as was I until now. Two standing charges seems like a mistake that the company should have brought up.
    You are simply making assumptions and accusations with no foundation. Wasting peoples time costs us all money. 
    You are simply making assumptions and accusations with no foundation. Wasting peoples time costs us all money. 
    Why would anyone think that one proeprty would have two standing charges!!!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Depends on the tariff she was on -  was she on a Total Heating type (but not E7 or E10)

Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Slumbershade
    Pollycat said:
    Wouldn't she have been aware of it if she'd checked her bills?

Slumbershade said:
    its split into two meters for the whole house, and no, why would the customer assume there are two standing charges for one property, I dont think its the customers fault at all.

Why are there 2 meters for the house?
    If I had 2 meters in my house I'd want to know what was connected to each meter and why there was 2 in the first place.
    I wouldn't have assumed that I'd just be paying one standing charge.
    I suppose I can see the logic in that too. Oh well  am on to the ombudsman for a sperate issue anyway.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,292 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2022 at 11:40AM
    The property is not the energy company's concern - from their point of view they have a supply to a meter and it gets paid for.  They don't need to investigate if two meters are on one property, because it used to be two properties, or a home and business, or someone thought it a bright idea to have both E7 and normal single rate electricity or other historical reason.  They just do what they are asked and paid for, which is make electricity available at each meter.  If the meters are near to each other, maybe it is worthwhile now paying for an electrician to rewire so only one of them is used - but for much of the last 20 years I expect the standing charge was lower and it actually made sense not to pay for this electrical work.

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is this house in addition to the 3 you inherited.?

I do hope it can be brought back into use quickly.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • ccluedo
    ccluedo Posts: 440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2022 at 12:49PM
    A relative in Scotland with SSE had a THTC tariff which is was two meters with two daily standing charges. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback